Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tough thing to watch

Old 10-24-2007, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tough thing to watch

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

That’s why I shoot those big ol’ child abusing momma does every chance I get. Only problem this season is I haven’t gotten many chances.
My problem is that I live in a one deer county. I could use an antlerless tag, but I am trying to increase the # of deer around.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

i HOPE i see that here in a couple hours

i AM doe hunting... i wanna join the nanny whacker club

would be different to actually witness that. we KNOW it happens, and like you said, for great reason...but watching it take place would be different.

they say if you shoot the doe before they kick the button bucks out of the area, the button buck is REAL likely to stay in the area...

Old 10-24-2007, 09:15 AM
Dominant Buck

That is a sight. Just think what a mature, ruting buck will do to that little guy if the does allow the buttons to stick around. Nature is all about the school of hard knocks.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:57 AM

Yep, the momma does run the little boys off. I would want to shoot her too but understand your circumstances as well.

Back at the end of may I witnessed a new momma doe do that to my bassett hound after she jumped the fence into my back yard. She had a fawn that hadn't been on the ground more than a few days and like any other hound, he heads over to investigate. She wasn't having any of that and commenced to stomping the tar out of my dog. Worst howling I ever heard, bassetts aren't too fast, you know. He just couldn't get away from her. It took me a few seconds to get her distracted from the dog...then she looked at me like she wanted to give me some too. Good thing I was elevated on the back deck above her.

Put a six inch gash inmy dog's belly. Cost over $900 tosew him upat an after hours animal hospital.[:@]
Old 10-24-2007, 10:00 AM

I've witnessed that many times. I've also seen big doe thump other doe where food is involved, so it's not exclusive to her button.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

huntingson, I'm right there with ya and it pulls the ole heart strings. It's mother nature at it's best and worst. Last year I had a button on his own like that. I could count on him to come to the food plot looking for companionship. I could call him in from 100's of yards with bleats...he'd come in bleating his poor little heart off. I wonder if any of the 1.5 yr old bucks I see this year are him? I don't know if he was in his home range or came from another?
Old 10-24-2007, 10:03 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-24-2007, 10:09 AM

Just consider yourself fortunate to have witnesses nature, lots of folks will never see or understand this part of what we experience when we are out. Thanks for sharing, its cool to hear the behavior of the game we hunt - we all see different things in our parts of the country. I havent had deer meat in a few years, so I may have shot her like rybohunter. Thanks
Old 10-24-2007, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

huntingson, I'm right there with ya and it pulls the ole heart strings. It's mother nature at it's best and worst. Last year I had a button on his own like that. I could count on him to come to the food plot looking for companionship. I could call him in from 100's of yards with bleats...he'd come in bleating his poor little heart off. I wonder if any of the 1.5 yr old bucks I see this year are him? I don't know if he was in his home range or came from another?
I guess it makes me a hypocrit, but I feel sorry for the young ones. Now if he was 3 years older...

I have seen adult does fight each other and that didn't get to me at all. I guess it was just getting abused by his own mother who 2 weeks ago did everything for him and now he is thinking "WTF Mom?".
Old 10-24-2007, 10:32 AM

Like others have said, we know it happens, and we know why, but it still hurts to watch it. But nature really is cruel at times. What is interesting to me though, is what would all of those animal activists say about it if they were to watch the same thing? They sit there and want a young child to die a painful death from cancer for wanting to shoot a black bear (thread from yesterday), but what would they think about mama doe beating up her baby and running it off? Would they want to save nature from itself, in the end destroying that which they profess to love? To hear them talk all the animals live in a quiet little meadow where nothing bad ever happens untill man shows up. At least we hunters spend enough time in the woods to understand reality, even if it is difficult to watch at times. They need to lay off the hallucinogenic mushrooms.

Quick Reply: Tough thing to watch

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.