Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

scent lock clothes in the store

Old 10-24-2007, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: scent lock clothes in the store

Germ,

I don't think young deer are stupid. Just inexperienced. You don't mean old wise deer you mean old pressured deer.

If you enter an area to hunt that hasn't seen humans. Larger olderdeer in that area wouldn't fear you. They'd likely be curious just like younger deer.

It's the pressure not the age.

Tom
Old 10-24-2007, 07:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well Tom being inMI they are all pressured, but I will agree 100% with you.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just go on Ebay and purchase a camouflaged chem suit. Should be able to pick one up for about $15.00. Hang it outsidebefore each time you use it and it works as good as any Scentlok suit. I have had deer within 10 feet of me with this. If you want to go crazy, build a pine box with a small fan blowing into it. Inside the box put a scent pan with pine needles, dirt, and leaves. Put your clothes in this overnight before hunting and the fan will pretty much saturate the clothes with the smell of the items in the scent pan. Btw use a small fan, like the one on your CPU so it doesn't blow the stuff from the scent pan all over the place.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:39 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: AF Hunter

Droptine just make sure to keep the other firefighters away from the oven while you're doing this. Hate to see your scenlok end up on the table at the station. (slight humor)
Emmmm scent loc roast.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm thinkingit might not burn because of the foil but that high of temperature might weaken and damage the fabric. You don't want it to be weak and start falling apart in shreds
Old 10-24-2007, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rhody Hunter

Am i the only one who thinks it is wierd that they sell these scent blocking clothes in the store right on the shelf . There
absorbing all the smells and touching of dirty hands that the store offers. when you buy activated charcoal in a resperator or for fish tanks it is sealed ready for use.I would think that what little carbon that is in the clothes is saturated with what ever by the time you buy it.Why wouldn't they sell it in sealed bags?

I think it's weird and unfortunatethat some of my fellow hunters actually believe this stuff works. I wish they would save their money.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I fart in my scentlok pants it still stinks. That has to mean something.[8D]

On a serious note, most people who spend the money on scentlok follow a total scent control program (ie shower, rubber tubs, spray down, rubber boots, breath control, etc). When deer downwind fail to detect them, they say "Wow, that scentlok suit really must work". In reality, it's probably everything ELSE you did to stay scent free that made the difference, not the scentlok.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

On a serious note, most people who spend the money on scentlok follow a total scent control program (ie shower, rubber tubs, spray down, rubber boots, breath control, etc). When deer downwind fail to detect them, they say "Wow, that scentlok suit really must work". In reality, it's probably everything ELSE you did to stay scent free that made the difference, not the scentlok.
i agree
Old 10-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: pa_yote_hunter

i agree
Could be, but I doubt it happened all at once. The scentlok came along in the process out of a need, so there must have been a problem in the scent control plan to begin with. You don't hear guys saying they still have a need after the scentlok.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

When I fart in my scentlok pants it still stinks. That has to mean something.[8D]
It does. It means the filter wasn't designed to handle stink in large amounts quickly. It also could mean you aren't wearing it according to the directions. It fits tight at the openings for a reason.

It also is a little , I don't know the right way to say it... Your most likely like many others who piss off their stand. Farts no different and according to many others isn't the kind of stink that disturbes deer. Therefore the filter maybe for a different substance.

Ya know what's really wrong with this picture. I'm arguing with a fart sniffer.JK