Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

scent lock clothes in the store

Old 10-23-2007, 03:11 PM

Default RE: scent lock clothes in the store

They say scent lok works...but, to quote a great line from a great movie "they alsosaid that artificial sweetners were safe, they saidthere were WMDs in Iraq, andthey saidAnna Nicole married for love" ~ Mr. Rate from the movie ''Shooter''.

In my opinion scent lok/scent blocker is over priced crap. Way too hyped up. I admit, I too fell into the trap and bought some a few years ago, but I try out alot of different products (such as the Nikon ragefinder retractable tether, which is the loudest thing I've ever heard, and is going back to the store tomorrow, thats a whole new rant). I still wear a pair ofpants with scent lok, simply because they are the most comfortable pair of camo pants I own for cool weather.

This debate will go down in hunter's history just like the great debates of all time (i.e. chevy v. ford, glock v. beretta, and matthews v. every bow on the market)

If it works for you buy it, use it, and good luck. But, always remember when a company tells you to "forget the wind, just hunt'' That's garbage.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am also sorry that I hunt old deer who are not stupid.

I am sorry for this.

Please continue gents... So the 1.5 yr. old got downwind and then what.....
Old 10-23-2007, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have always wondered the same in regards to scent lok clothing hanging openly instores.

-I wear it and everything that I have personally bought has been sealed. I do believe that the fabric traps and holds human odor. Especially in the early stages of use. When I pull it out of the hot dryer, it definately has a smell to it. A very clean smell if you will. I always place it directly in an air tight container. I put it on in the woods and take it off outside.

-I suspect like with rubberboots having a distinct odor that I am positive deer can smell, once any deer or deer begins to assoicate those smells (rubber boots) with danger it begins to work against you... I guess thats why its mostimportant to play the wind and mix it up. With scent lok I would rather smell clean like it does versus like human sweat..but on the other hand I have wondered at times if that smell even becomes a red flag to say a deer that I have hunted for many days in and around his bedding area.. just my thoughts..they really do have incredible noses..once ANY odor that we are using strikes them as dangerous.. the gigs up when they smell that smell again.. again.. if you use the wind there is really no better way.

-to me, these days, scent lok in my arsenal has its place. I agree I am guilty in the past of putting TOO MUCH stock in it, sprays etc.... Today I look at is as added help or aiding how much residual scent I leave in an area versus how much I would have left without it.. I do know this. Deer track and pattern us as hunters and they do a lot of that snooping around after dark, in and around our stands and set ups... This is when they often learn to skirt us, its not always in the daylight. I then feel its important to minimize as much human odor as possible .....OR get a good rain, which is probably best for residual odor..

Anyway.. I will keep wearing it and I do feel that coupled with a very strict cleasning routine and spraying down that we can minimize human odor to the point that many deer will tolerate it.. still at times.. some deer, especially old bucks and old does tolerate very very little..

peace
Old 10-23-2007, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lpv77

ORIGINAL: Illinois Buck Hunter

I can honestly say that I have NEVER had ONE deer wind me in the 2 years I have been wearing Scent Blocker.
None that you saw atleast!!
A very good point, but I can come up with a pretty good idea of how this stuff works for me when the deer are within eyesight. I do about 25% of my hunting from blinds that I make before afternoon hunts. When I've had does and bucks 10 yards from me downwind while sitting on the ground, I'm not going to argue with the effectiveness of this product.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Germ

Tom

Don't takes this the wrong way, but having a MI 1.5 year deer as your test is not very good one.

I have walk right up to them, I have thrown my quiver at them in NE LP to get them to leave. Start knocking down mature deer on year to year bases with a bow with your tactics and then I will listen.

Which is why burniegoealily is a guy I respect and listin to about products and tactics.

We are hunting two differnet animals, nothing wrong with that at all.

The first sign of desperation when trying to prove something you know you can't.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

the car... debbie.. the car.... debbie....
Old 10-23-2007, 03:28 PM

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

I am also sorry that I hunt old deer who are not stupid.

I am sorry for this.

Please continue gents... So the 1.5 yr. old got downwind and then what.....

So EVERY one of those 20 deer you used as an example of your magic suit working were old, wise, crafty, mature, ghosts of the woods??

Please continue............
Old 10-23-2007, 03:29 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-23-2007, 03:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: Germ

Tom

Don't takes this the wrong way, but having a MI 1.5 year deer as your test is not very good one.

I have walk right up to them, I have thrown my quiver at them in NE LP to get them to leave. Start knocking down mature deer on year to year bases with a bow with your tactics and then I will listen.

Which is why burniegoealily is a guy I respect and listin to about products and tactics.

We are hunting two differnet animals, nothing wrong with that at all.

The first sign of desperation when trying to prove something you know you can't.
Ummm Atlas I was not wearing anything when I did this, LOL Almost 20 years ago When I hunted anything, which is way differnet than I hunt today.

Today I am scentLok free, just get tired of listenting to the same few with their tired message

If you read my first post, I stated it has more to do with the hunter For example I bet you can kill a deer in a pink bunny suit
Old 10-23-2007, 03:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yea, continue Dukie

Quick Reply: scent lock clothes in the store

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.