Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another where would you hunt? NOW WITH PHOTO

Old 10-22-2007, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Another where would you hunt? NOW WITH PHOTO

Ok, here's the breakdown of my hunting ground (right at my house that you can see in the bottom lower left of my red boundry). The red boundary is basically my land area that I have to work with. The yellow dots are my current stand locations. The food plot is a mixture of brassica, clover, buckwheat, and rye, and unfortunatly the deer are NOT hitting this at all at least during daylight hours, so that has me a bit frustrated. The stand in between the two bedding areas in the upper left produced a doe for me this year and i do see a decent amount of doe in their, but NEVER any rubs or scrapes over the past few years. On paper it appears to be the most logical rut stand chice, but i'm not sure. The problem is that there is never a pattern whether they come out from the left or the right side, so I can't really use the wind to my advantage in there. The problem is I scouted ALL OVER last winter after the season and found very little buck sign anywhere which is odd. So I'm really struggling here and I feel that I'm fighting a losing battle. I see doe almost every night out, but NEVER any bucks. The marker where I noted a possible stand location is my next move. The corn is still standing and will probably be standing even into rifle season. I have a trail camera up there and have gotten TONS of pictures there but all doe and mostly in the morning (8:00am-11am). I'm looking for any advice anyone can give me on where you would consider setting up, also if you think a stand is in a worthless location, feel free to mention that. I know I also made this quite vague, so if you need anymore info, just ask. The prevailing wind in our area comes out of the W/SW. Tonight was one of the rare nights when we had an Easterly wind and so I hunted the stand in the lower right hand corner and saw some does come out in the field to the right (not part of my property). Have at it people! BTW, I love this site, because I really do have a lot of respect for many of you on here who know so much more than I do (which is probably most)
Old 10-22-2007, 07:13 PM

Default RE: Because it' cool...another where would you hunt?

Uh dude?? No map?????
Old 10-22-2007, 07:13 PM
Typical Buck

In a tree?
Old 10-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

Man, put the picture up before the jokes start coming in...
Old 10-22-2007, 07:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

ive never seen these threads work without a map...

heck, i made mobow post a 2nd map

maps and ariels tell all. you might THINK you know the land...and you MIGHT know the land...but maps and ariels can bring out things that you may have never noticed..

kinda why mobow posted his...he been there often..killed deer there...just looking for more.

it helps. even in spots i know are good, proven spots, i can look at the ariel and topo and find others i may never noticed, or understand WHY that area is so good and find others like it in other areas i have access too...

im a big believer in ariels and topos...still gotta get off the couch and do the leg work..but you can narrow it down alot of times
Old 10-22-2007, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Matt, stop frustating yourself if you can not find any buck sign on your property. Hunt those does, meaning they will come into estrous and then there will be bucks. I actually wish I had does everyday heading into this time of year. I am short on the females as of late. You just need to be there at the right time.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Edit...got the photo back up.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

i would love to have does in about 3 weekes they will have all the bucks in the neighborhood around there so just wait it out. but if it was me i would hunt them hemlocks n pines i love to hunt pines especialy in a nice snow about 3 inches deep!! i wish i had a lot of pines like u i'm just say w/ all that corn i would go 2 the pines!
Old 10-23-2007, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE:Another where would you hunt?

Thanks for the opinions so far...bump.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:46 AM

Default RE: Another where would you hunt? NOW WITH PHOTO

why are you do ignore the upper right portion of the property? i think i can see a trail from here heading north out of the eastern end of that corn field. start in that corner (maybe even with a camera) and see if anything comes and goes, you should be able to watch that whole long edge. your scent will also be blowing right off of the property.

Quick Reply: Another where would you hunt? NOW WITH PHOTO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.