Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Finally got the chance....

Old 10-22-2007, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default Finally got the chance....

Finally got the opertunity to take my son out for his first hunt, we got set up and settled in around 2 in the afternoon. It was pretty windy and not as cool as I would have hoped it has been almost a month since the season opened and I had not been out yet (the heat). He was pretty good and kept his volume low, but still pretty talkative. We were there for about three hours andon accasion he would rattle therattle bag and do a few doebleats with thecan but nothing was moving, and I think he was starting to get bored so he wanted to go. So it being his forst hunt and I didnt want him to feel preasured we started to pack up, it was about 5:30. When things start to happen, I tried to tell him this but he still wanted to go. And as I stepped out of the blind and turned to my left I seen the tell tail sign of a deer running the opposit direction. It was behind a fallen tree not 40 yards away !!!! Just a little but longer and he might have had the chance at his first deer. THe best thing of all he turns and looks at me and says " Man I hate it when thise deer trick you, don't you dad?" Have a great hunt we will be out again this weekend.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Finally got the chance....

I'm smiling ear to ear. Great post! Next time don't take him out quite so early so he's not bored when happy hour roles around. My son has downs syndrom so he'll never be able to hunt but I've taken him out and sure loves to watch the deer. I took him on a deer damage hunt last summer for doe only. We never saw a doe at all but had over 10 bucks in velvet all around us, all day! It was like they were there just for him and knew they were in no danger. He doesn't see very well, thick glasses and all but once he got his hands on my binaculars, I never got them back. lol
I wish you and your son the best of luck.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the words and addvice I was thinking the same thing, I found a differant location were there were more signs of deer and it is easier to get to. Any time in the woods with family or friends weither they hunt or not is good times none the less. Hope for the best for you and your son.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a great day. You will have this story longer than you would have the venison from that deer. Good luck with the rest of your season.