Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

CHECK YOUR STANDS!!!!!

Old 10-23-2007, 12:15 AM

Default RE: CHECK YOUR STANDS!!!!!

David, I am not taking it the wrong way, but trust me, I have hung enough ladder stands in my day to know that when I set that stand up, there was no way to do it any better. It is a older LocOn Titan ladder stand. At the top of the stand, on each side of the seat are hooks which I used to put a ratchet strap on. I had it tightened down as much as I physically could when I installed it. Half way up the 12' stand there is a brace bar that is jammed against the tree, which I had tightened down with yet another ratchet strap. When I installed this stand (which has been hunted out of around a dozen times this season), I pulled and tugged trying to get the stand to move at all and it wouldn't budge. I don't think that there is anything else that anybody could do besides putting a ratchet strap on every step and screwing the stand into place that could have helped. Call me crazy, but having two ratchet straps on the stand in the correct places doesn't exactly sound like a "shoddy" set-up to me!
Old 10-23-2007, 05:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I check mine every day I hunt. I check my ladder stand starting from the ground make sure theres no bend in the ladder, do a walk around to make sure the strap on the stabelizer bar is secure and not torn or broke, then make a slow climb up checking each section of ladder, before I step onto the platform I make sure I can see the strap is secured to the stand and give a small side to side jerk on the stand to make sure its not going to go anywhere, if it moves I reach to the back of the stand and give the strap another good wrathcet as far as I can. The step on the patform and settle in. My hang ons I prettty much do the same thing since I use climbing sticks. I inspect from the ground, tighten the lower ones that i can reach if needed. climb up with climbing harness so I can have both hands free if needed tighten any higher ones. Reach the stand and make surethe straps are in good condition, tighten if needed, and climb ontostand attachm my self to my safety harness, remove the climbingstap, sit down and pull up my bow. Sounds like alot of extra work before a hunt but in all reality, whats 5-10 minutes that could ssave your lifeout of a 3-4 hour hunt.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

She wears a safety harness when she is in stand, but as I said, she was climbing down the ladder when this happened.
I'm very glad to hear that she is OK.

There are still ways to be protected. Most accidents don't happen when you are actually in the stand.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ratchet strap at the top
Old 10-23-2007, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

glad to hear she is ok
Old 10-23-2007, 02:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

glad she is OK i got in my ladder stand a week ago and it dropped about 8 inch's one of the cheap straps come loss when i went to go down to move it my weight on the ladder pushed it back up and i just tightend the strap
good luck and i hope it does not discourage her