Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer Sanctuarys

Old 10-22-2007, 04:50 AM
Bartender

Default Deer Sanctuarys

I just read article about how it is a must to have a place on your property that is off limits to any access.
It also stated this is true also if you have a food plot especially to keep big bucks around.
How many of you have a area that is strictly off limits? If you have one do some of you wait until
real late in the season and a tag that is not filled then go in?
I myself kind of have one and what I mean by this is the farmer does let 2 others hunt the same property and some years they go into this sanctuary and some years they dont. Yesterday they went into this sanctuary but only manage to drive out a spike and doe that they had seen.[:@]

*Reference North American Whitetail Nov 07 for more on this*
Old 10-22-2007, 05:30 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Deer Sanctuarys

I have a 55 acres set aside that nobody is allowed in. I will walk in there early March and look around. I am not sure if it helps or not but I also had read somewhere that it was a good idea. I have had it for 4 years. I have to say I almost alwayssee deer when I am out hunting.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Fraley

I have a section that is off limits until the rut, but i can get in and out with a deer knowing.

If you can do the above I say hunt it.

Here is my belief on plots these days. Unless you are hunting an area with little food they are worthless. Deer have so many options on what to eat around me, they hardly even touch them. The reason the seem to work is when we watch the shows and see a pile of deer in them. What they don't show is the deer have over browsed entire section they are in, and need the plot to survive.

I have found cover is best for my area, and our farm is loaded with it now. I have shot 4 mature deer in 5 years since putting more cover out.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:44 AM
Bartender

Its buttercup to you

That section I am talking borders that section I had on the map with your name on it. I do not do food plots.
They might work lets say mid dec until first week of Jan when season ends.
Did you mean cover or clover?
Old 10-22-2007, 05:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Cover I have 3 20+ ACERS of CRP fields

Switch Grass
Blue Stem Long and Short
Old 10-22-2007, 05:48 AM
Bartender

Ahh ok, Yeah I have a lot of thick cover available I am just wanting to get a non during the rut mature buck.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Even though I just purchased my land, there is an area on the west side of my big pond that I have told my son to stay out of. It's only about 5 acres, but I have seen a big bruiser in there and a lot of slickheads too. Next spring, I'll be putting in a clover field in there to offer the deer a little dessert after a meal of corn and beans. It's all worth it if you leave it alone so the deer come to know the area as a place to be safe from pressure.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:52 AM
Typical Buck

Germ, I agree with the plots. I put one in this year and it has been a waste with all the corn and acorns around.

I am not sure it is possible to sneak in where the deer won't know you were there. I like having an off limits area.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:58 AM
Bartender

I would have to agree if you go in some have to know your there and you just would have no way of knowing this.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

A sanctuary will help you if your neighbors putallot pressure on the local herd. I have about 25 acres that I only enter in the spring to do some shed hunting ,the rest of the year its off limits to all.
This area has a pile of blow downs and a bunch of multa flora rose that makes for some thick cover.

Quick Reply: Deer Sanctuarys

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.