Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer Sanctuarys

Old 10-22-2007, 08:14 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Deer Sanctuarys

I do this in the places I hunt. I wrote a post Titled "Sanctuary's" a couple years ago but of course, got minimal replies.

BTW, it works excellently.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

I am going to try

Chickory next year and turnips, I have seen deer do exactly what you stated. Kind of browse their way through the plot.

I guess my post came out wrong. Plots don't work like you see on TV where the deer browse in them for 30 mins. I think a lot of people have a mis-conception of how plots work. Sometimes you plant them, and nobody shows upWhat I did not do is plant them close to bedding areas, I am going to try that next year.
Mine do..........you can watch them every night in the plots, sometimes for an hour or more.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ok Rick

What the are you planting, are you lacing it with nicotine

I woul love to find something they like around me

Old 10-22-2007, 10:27 AM
Typical Buck

I guess my post came out wrong. Plots don't work like you see on TV where the deer browse in them for 30 mins. I think a lot of people have a mis-conception of how plots work. Sometimes you plant them, and nobody shows upWhat I did not do is plant them close to bedding areas, I am going to try that next year.

Germ I had a plot the last two years and it work wonderfully. For one reason or another they have spent little to no time in it. I blame the amount of corn that is now around my property however my deer sighting are now down by any means. Plots have worked good for my in the past just not this year.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am going to try

Chickory next year and turnips, I have seen deer do exactly what you stated. Kind of browse their way through the plot.

We had a small food plot that the deer would hardly touch in the Spring....clover, rye grass, brassicas. We replanted on Labor Day with turnips, and peas and it looked like a cattle crossing! Shot a doe last weekend between one of our sanctuaries and the plot. She was going to the plot, and her stomach contents had only green...no acorns, corn, etc...

Wethrew some chicory onthe plot last week for the spring...from what I have read, it won't come up in the fall. We won't hunt this plot again for a month.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Germ, a buddy of mine has 120 acres with 40 of it in crops every year. All the way around his property is nothing but cropland. He put in a food plot with 7 differrent types of clover which all blooms at differnent times of the year growing season. Deer love clover because it's sweet. I've sat in his cabin and watched the deer come out of the soybeans and corn at night to munch on the clover. It's like offering candy to a child, they can't pass it up. Now I have one food plot in with the same mix and two more plots tilled to be planted in the spring. My buddy got his clover mix from www.whitetailinstitute.com. I went to the local feed store and he made basically the same mix for me at 1/4 the price. Give it a shot and I doubt you'll be disappointed.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

On that piece of ground I hunt that is private..the one I had all the tresspassing problems with, I have 50-60 acre mountainside full of brush and thick timber that I absolutey do not enter unless I am shed hunting it in Jan-March..
It works great because all the land around is either public or pressured private ground.. Deer and elk hole up in there big time.

I can't plant anything on this land, but if I could I would till up all skid trails in this sanctuary and plant a summer protein and fall carbohydrate combo
Old 10-22-2007, 12:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am AF Hunter

Going to plant Clover and other stuff next year
Old 10-22-2007, 02:12 PM
Bartender

Yeah Jeff I have been trying to find a spot likes yours just over the border in Illinois.
ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I don't give 'em a square foot of sanctuary. I push the limit and hunt every nook and cranny of the land I have access to.

Ahhhh, but the untold truth is....I hunt a man-made breakline that's the border of their 230 acre sanctuary. Parks system.....no hunting. Perfect scenario. If it didn't exost the way it did.....I'd probably screw it up by hunting in there. As it is.....it keeps ME in check.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:14 PM
Bartender

Can you dig it up I am would be greatly interested?
ORIGINAL: GregH

I do this in the places I hunt. I wrote a post Titled "Sanctuary's" a couple years ago but of course, got minimal replies.

BTW, it works excellently.

Quick Reply: Deer Sanctuarys

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.