Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer Sanctuarys

Old 10-22-2007, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Sanctuarys

I have 3x sanctuaries on mine, 2x of them right off food plots. 2x of them never get hunted, maybe a quick walkthrough in March or so to look for sheds and that's it. The other area gets hunted, but I can get in and out without being detected, and ONLY hunt when the wind is in my favor in there.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

The sactuary on our farms is about 10-15 acres and we never go in there except to retrieve a deer. The deer literally live in there and we just hunt the edges during the rut. It has made a world of difference.

I disagree on the food plots. I think it helps to have out another food source that is different than the others for the deer. They rerouted their trails to take them through our plots and they browse on them frequently. Are they necessary? No. Do they help? I think they do.

Like Germ said, cover is the most important thing as far as I am concerned. I am adding at least 10 acres of long and short bluestem next year. The 10-12 acres I have that is just reforesting is a magnet for deer right now. They used to never use this field, now they are in it consistently. It will take years, but I will get my farm right eventually.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:55 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't give 'em a square foot of sanctuary. I push the limit and hunt every nook and cranny of the land I have access to.

Ahhhh, but the untold truth is....I hunt a man-made breakline that's the border of their 230 acre sanctuary. Parks system.....no hunting. Perfect scenario. If it didn't exost the way it did.....I'd probably screw it up by hunting in there. As it is.....it keeps ME in check.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Joe Brooks always tells me.

Plant what you do not have.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Germ:

He tells you to bait, too.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: huntingson

The sactuary on our farms is about 10-15 acres and we never go in there except to retrieve a deer. The deer literally live in there and we just hunt the edges during the rut. It has made a world of difference.

I disagree on the food plots. I think it helps to have out another food source that is different than the others for the deer. They rerouted their trails to take them through our plots and they browse on them frequently. Are they necessary? No. Do they help? I think they do.

Like Germ said, cover is the most important thing as far as I am concerned. I am adding at least 10 acres of long and short bluestem next year. The 10-12 acres I have that is just reforesting is a magnet for deer right now. They used to never use this field, now they are in it consistently. It will take years, but I will get my farm right eventually.
What are you planting? Maybe I planted the wrong stuff[8D] I have 3 out right now, deer just do not bother them[:@] My neighbor has a great one, never seen a deer in it. I see the deer on the river bottoms eating the greens.

I do agree plots will work, for some reason not for me. I am curious to see how others who hunt river bottoms do it.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

The way they run dogs after deerin my part of the state, sanctuary is only available in a church!
Old 10-22-2007, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ
What are you planting? Maybe I planted the wrong stuff[8D] I have 3 out right now, deer just do not bother them[:@] My neighbor has a great one, never seen a deer in it. I see the deer on the river bottoms eating the greens.

I do agree plots will work, for some reason not for me. I am curious to see how others who hunt river bottoms do it.
Well, I am not necessarily hunting all river bottoms. Our land is bordered on the west by a large creek, but it then goes up eastaway from the creek and goes up about 75-100 feet vertically. We planted a mixture of clover, chickory (sp?), and turnips. They don't go into them and just eat for 10 minutes, but they will browse through them very frequently. Our plots are small and we placed them just outside known bedding areas. I am no food plot expert though. I just know what has happened here.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: huntingson

ORIGINAL: Germ

Well, I am not necessarily hunting all river bottoms. Our land is bordered on the west by a large creek, but it then goes up eastaway from the creek and goes up about 75-100 feet vertically. We planted a mixture of clover, chickory (sp?), and turnips. They don't go into them and just eat for 10 minutes, but they will browse through them very frequently. Our plots are small and we placed them just outside known bedding areas. I am no food plot expert though. I just know what has happened here.
Same here, clover will last years with a light spraying of round up to control weeds but round up will kill the chicory & for the money purple top turnips seem to really produce allot of forage per acre.
And both grow well in poor soil.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am going to try

Chickory next year and turnips, I have seen deer do exactly what you stated. Kind of browse their way through the plot.

I guess my post came out wrong. Plots don't work like you see on TV where the deer browse in them for 30 mins. I think a lot of people have a mis-conception of how plots work. Sometimes you plant them, and nobody shows upWhat I did not do is plant them close to bedding areas, I am going to try that next year.

Quick Reply: Deer Sanctuarys

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.