Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

This shot?

Old 10-21-2007, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default This shot?

hello, it was opening evening in wisconsin of the bow season. i was sitting in a stand we call the sports bar and had seen some good activity that day, video of a littel buck feeding in the corn food plot and a few does. It was getting towards the end of night and i was about standing up to look around when i heard a very small noise. looked down and i saw a little fawn. i think they came around the ridge from the other food plot. I see another fawn and just say to my self, wheres mommy. the 2 fawns began to run around in the like kids do, then momma appeared. this was about 4 yards from the stand under me. One fawn got a head of the others and the second followed. the momma moved out about 7 yards into the corn then came right back out to the edge. I made a noise to get her to stop in the opening between the stand and a branch towards the ground, but ended up slowing down and stopping under the branch. I had a shot on her and took it. I dropped her where she stood. I was amazed as i did not think i spined her, i shoot a hoyt vectrix i think its about 65-69 pounds and rage 3 blade broad heads. the shot was prolly about 7 yards. when i gutted her, there was a solid lung shot. i ended up finishing her off humanely and not letting her suffer. Please let me know if you think it was a spine shot or just some sort of freak thing maybe hitting nurves.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: This shot?

Well, you obviously hit bone somewhere. There's no way a just-lung-hit arrow is gonna stop like that, not with the kinetic energy you should be delivering with that poundage and at that distance. What did it look like when you dressed her? What was she doing when you 'finished' her? Did the arrow pull right out or did you have to wrench on it to getit out?

It looks just like a spine-hit I made on a doe last year.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

yep, you spined her. still mighta got the close, or even both lungs...but you spined her as well. heck, you sure you got lung!?? dont look like much penetration at all. probably hit the shoulder and spine from the looks of it.

good thing she dropped..that coulda been a longggg trail...

congrats on the doe..next time put it lower and a few inches back and youll smoke em!
Old 10-21-2007, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

yeah, the broadhead was a tuff out and came out all mashed and twisted. There was slice through one lung. I had never practiced or shot a deer at such an angle, now i have learned. it just seemed really far away from the spinal area. I did not really pay to much attention, i was just on the talkie with my buddy who had shot a doe across the valley. I just didn't want to see it sit there and suffer, so i cut its jugular and came back and dressed it out. You live and learn, ill be back to get a monster this weekend or next during the rut, got 5 days off from work in a row, nov. 1-5
Old 10-21-2007, 08:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Any one questionsthis ??????????????????sounds like AFLAC....NNNNNAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
Old 10-21-2007, 08:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I WAS studdering............
Old 10-21-2007, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

The ole spine curves down right about there. Nice shooting Tex.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:15 PM
Fork Horn

alrite, thanks for the input, never had a spine shot or even thought about doing one, i liek the lungs liver and heart. just mis judged the shot through the limb it was under. wierd thing is, just got done watching a video where the bucks were dropping with the gun shots, i was like id like to drop a deer someday, who woulda thought it would be the next day, lol.