Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

gettin close show what the heck are they doing

Old 10-21-2007, 09:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: gettin close show what the heck are they doing

I didn't watch the show but thought I would add my .02. I leave the skin on my dear untill I butcher them since it will keep the meat moist and the bugs off of it (if there happens to be any). I also let them hang for about 5 days or so. The one post is how I feel...I want my venison to age like a steak. The enzymes that break down the tissue in beef does the same to venison! There is no harm in doing it as long as you keep the temp. from 40 deg down to about 35 or so. If the temp is in the upper 30s to 40 deg. I dont let it hang for quite as long as when the temp is just above freezing. Old timers used to let thier deer hang for a week or more before they butchered it up. Hang it or cut it up right away and they should both taste fine.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:20 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: StrutNtom

On a better note....damn Tiffany is hott!
X2!!!!
Old 10-22-2007, 05:49 AM
Typical Buck

During the late season when temps are well below freezing I have no problem leaving the skin on and hanging for a few days. If he temps are borderline then I skin it right away so it can cool. Warmer weather like 35 or above then it gets skun and cut asap.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:03 AM

I am glad I am not the only one that sees how "commericalized" they have become!!..

Mr. Java just laughs at me now.. I can't help but roll my eyes...

Tell you what..

I really want to see Tiffany drag and gut her deer.

She will gain my respect back if I see proof..
Old 10-22-2007, 07:57 AM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: _Dan

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Excuse me? Did you watch the show? The facts speak for themselves. The deer was not skinned for several days. What's made up? No one said that taking time to take pictures is going to ruin the meat, NO ONE. I think you made that one up. No one is dis'n these "people", I'm questioning what I saw, and it's right there on the show. He shot his buck day 2, he was posing with the same non skinned deer on day 7 when Don shot his buck. Nothing made up there. Yup it was in a cooler but I certainly would have skinned the deer day 2.

bigtime, I agree...every aspect of venison process says NOT to age venny, beef yes, venison no.
Rob, did you miss the part where they said it was in the cooler? Not everyone skins their deer right away.....If the temps are right (or its in a cooler), I'll let mine hang for a week before I skin it.....and I won't skin it until I cut it up.

I saw absolutely nothing wrong with what they did in the show.
Saw the cooler part my friend but I also saw the flys on it, wasnt' that cool out. No big deal but 5 days with the skin on it. NOT me.

I skin mine ASAP. I might let it hang over night if cool enough without the skin to allow the meat to SET, not age necessarily. The meat cuts better when SET, butcher taught me that. Ever aspect of venison that I've learned, (not that I'm right) was to cool it immediately and that was with the skin off, it does that much faster.

I guess there is alot of misconceptions and practices with venison and not necessarily wrong, just different.
Oops, I guess I need to go back to 1st grade and learn to read.[&:] LOL
Old 10-22-2007, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Stormy_NY

I will bet you any money they donate the meat they do not use......as for the rest of your diatribe ....wake up. do you work for nothing. Or is it because it is deer hunting and there is this mystical spirtual job that they should work for free.

Buddy, I don't need to wake up, I'm fully awake with coffee in hand. For someone who said not to make accusations you're pretty presumptuous. First off, I would never compare what I do for a living with what they do. I have a job, they get paid to hunt. I also never said that they shouldn't get paid, that is what they do. What I don't like is how they (and others) have become slaves to the sponsors. That's the business though,so there is no way around it.

I also doubt very seriously that their meat goes to waste, and is not at all what I was saying. Even if for the simple fact that if they did waste the meat that would eventually come out in the media and make both them and their sponsors look bad. I'm sure they give the meat to someone who wants it or donate it as you said. Let's not kid ourselves though, they're not shooting all those deer for charity. It's money in the bank, because for them hunting is how they make money and sponsor pressure calls for the footage. No footage, no sponsors. No sponsors, no money. If that happens it's off to some crappy 9 to 5 and scrapingfor time to hunt like the rest of us. So, let's be realistic and not call it WORK.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it's 45 or less I'll hang it for 3 days skin on and it's great. If it's warmer skin it right away and process.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'll let mine hang for a week before I skin it.....and I won't skin it until I cut it up.
Me too you skin it and it gets all dried out. That's why in a meat house the wrap the beef in a moist cloth.

I try to shoot my meat does when the weather is right and I can hang it. If it's warm and you want to cool it down quick, open it up lay it down and pack it in ice. I use blocks and cubes. If you have some old tarps or blankets wrap the thing up and you'll be surprised how quickly you'll drop the temp of the meat down.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

I really don't lioke this show, too much bad comedy, but really don't see anything wrong with hanging meat with the skin on.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:17 AM
Typical Buck

Whywould anyonegive a rip if they skinned their deer?

So apparently they guttedtheir deerand put it in a cooler...what is wrong with that?

I have let deer hang for days with the hide on for days on many occasions.

It is also funny that people are wondering if they eat all the deer they shoot?

Can you imagine how many pounds of venison that would probably be?

If they donated the meat then good for them. I doubt that it is just thrown away.

Sorry guys but hunting shows are about getting footage of big bucks...not venison steaks.

Quick Reply: gettin close show what the heck are they doing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.