Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

spine shot gone bad

Old 10-21-2007, 06:32 AM

Default RE: spine shot gone bad

Wack

What in the hell is wrong with you, taking a shot like that.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Must be a typo... No one would try and take a spine shot at 30 plus yards. Ugly death EVEN if you made the shot. I like the lungs. Nice big target with most room for error
Old 10-21-2007, 07:08 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats on the recovery!!
Pictures?
Old 10-21-2007, 07:31 AM
Fork Horn

I also learned that I shouldn't post when I'm in a tizzy like that. lolMy wife was making me something to eat, I was trying to keep occupied so as not to rush back up there too soon. I did write that I aimed for the spine. That was inncorrect, and if it was, I deserved the bashing. I was not aiming for the spine but I thought I was dealing with a spine shot. Watching him walk away with an arrow sticking straight up was mind blowing! I held the pin right at the sweet spot quartering away but the difference between high vitals area from that angle and the actual shot placement, he definitly ducked. I'd guess from the impact that he was able to drop about 4-8 inches before the arrow got there.
The comment about my mentor, I'd have to say I'm much more ethical than my mentor. Not all of us are blessed with great teachers. I practice more, take fewer shots in the woods and will pass a nubber buck, fawns with spots and doe with fawns with spots. My mentor won't. I'll take a managment buck, he'll shoot the first buck, no mater what. He likes Tred Barta, I think he flings too many arrow irresponsibly. He likes to hunt over bait, I perfer not to.
Any of you pro hunters want to take me hunting and mentor me, give me a shout. I'm 41 years old, been bow hunting my 7th season, (yet to be skunked )and gun hunting about 25 years. I've filled more tags than left unfilled and have only not found 2 deer in time in 7 years. I found both but coyotes found them first. I've completely missed a deer 1 time, grabbed another arrow and made that one count. So I'm not as unethical as my writing would seem. I'm just not a good writer when stressed out . I should have proof read it first at least. lol I forgive any spine shot bashing, I would have bashed me too the way I wrote it. I still don't understand how the buck took my arrow at the angle and spot it did. It was absolutly straight up and down as if shot straight down at him. I shot at the left side and it went in just to the right of the spine hitting inside of right shoulder breaking the shoulder and deflating 1 lung, barely. He was still warm when I found him about 2 am. I'm lucky I didn't push him sooner.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Alls well that ends well. I'm glad you say you didn't take that spine shot intentionally. I for one give you the benefit of the doubt. Good job lets see some pics!
Old 10-21-2007, 07:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Like I said, I'm glad then I was right and read it wrong and you wrote it wrong. I didn't think that way about you, at least didn't want to. I'm glad you took the time to explain it...and some of you should read all the posts because after he explained it, your still not getting it...some of you read the thread starter but not his reply...read people.

Now, where are the pictures to close this chapter. Congrats Wack.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

After reading your updated version,XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
(I am taking back my pat on the backuntil you prove to me you deserve it)

But you have to admit, and you already have, that your original post made it sound like you were aiming at the spine with the deer walking away from you.

Now show us some pics of that bad boy!!!!
Old 10-21-2007, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wack

Saw A nice buck tonight, took a shot at 36 yards, it looked good, buck dropped in his tracks. He was quartering away, turned straight away at the last second. I see the buck acting like it's crippled then all of a sudden it gets up and walks away! As it's walking away, I can't believe it, I see my arrow sticking straight up but can't tell exactly where from. Somewhere between the front shoulders and the top of his head and still looked to be in line with the spine. That buck shouldn't be able to walk, yet after a couple hours wait, I tracked a good blood trail for about 200 yards where it just stopped. Where I lost the blood trail there is very thick cover to either side. I figured I'd better back out and go look again in the morning. I had tracked it into some thick stuff, figured it went in to die but came out on the other side, went down a logging road where I lost the blood trail.
I don't know what to think, the blood was real bright red almost like lung blood but no bubbles. Though it looked like a spine shot and that was what I was aiming for, could I have missed the spine and got a shoulder blade or the back of the skull? It hit something solid, I didn't get a real good look but it looked like 2/3's of my arrow did not penatrate and it looked like it was stuck strait up and down as he staggered away. I tried a 50 yard desperation shot but it went right under him and broke that arrow on a rock and spooked him a bit. I found white hair on the trail, and no blood or broad head on the arrow. He got a hair cut just below the heart with that shot, should have held just a little higher, I didn't compinsate for the 10 mph wind! grrrr He ran about 10 yards then stood still like he was going to drop again. Staggered backwards, almost sat down like a dog. Then he just walked down the hill out of sight, the last thing I saw was my arrow disapear over the hill very slowly, weaving back and forth, my green and yellow vanes up higher than his antlers.
I really wasn't planning to go back tomorrow but I have no choice. It's a 2 hour drive, going to have to borrow the gas money to go look.
To ad insult to injury, as I was waiting to climb down, I see the buck I've been after for this the 7th year. He has 1 white sock on his left front leg that goes up past his knee. His twin sister was my first bow kill, I spared his life when he was a nubber buck and again when he was 2 1/2 years old. he's now about a 24" spread and 12 points, I'm guessing 160 class min. well over 200 lbs with real dark antlers and was bedded 50 yards behind my stand tonight. As I was gathering up my stuff in my stand, he just got up and walked away. Not sure if I spooked him or not, wouldn't be the first time old white sock has done that to me. Glad to see he's still kicking, hadn't see him for sure since opening day 2006. It's too warm to leave it verry long. I'll be back on it's trail in a few hours. I woud have stayed out but my 2 best friends are out in Colorado elk hunting and they took all my good flash lights and half my gear with 'em. The best light I have left is my streamlight TLR2 tactical light and laser on my Sig .22 Mosquito. Didn't have it with. If I'm lucky, I'll find my buck and pick off a few coyotes too. No sleep tonight. Paack a lunch or two and I'm driving back. Wish me luck, at least it's not raining.
Why in the hell would you go for a spine shot? If that was the only shot you had you should of left him walk!
Tim
Old 10-21-2007, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like I said. It was a TYPO.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

My appologies!!Good job on recovering your deer!

Quick Reply: spine shot gone bad

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.