Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stupidity cost me a doe, plus its still exciting

Old 10-20-2007, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Default Stupidity cost me a doe, plus its still exciting

Stupid part: Got up a little later than I wanted this morning.....stayed on here too long last night[&:]. Anyway, soon after the sun came up I was hurrying putting my stand up(climber), and after reaching my chosen height, I realized I didn't hook the pull rope to my bow[:@]. I have to climb back down, get out of my stand, hook the rope back up, and start climbing back up. Halfway up and here comes 3 mature does and a youngun. Just great.....my 3rd time out and a nice doe is what I had been hoping for to come within bow range. As they walk by at 17 yards, I'm thinking thats all I'll see this morning.

Exciting part: Does go further away and I proceed to climb the rest of the way up. I get settled in and 15 minutes later what looks to be a nice buck is coming along the same way. I stand up readying for a possible shot. He stops at 30 yards staring ahead headon giving me plenty of time to study his rack. Big body, lesser rack, probably a 2.5 yr. old. He'd still field dress at near 200 lbs. I let him go by at 15-17 yards but the best part is.............still got some shakes, he had me excited, and first buck I've seen this season. That only means one thing, bowhunting still owns me!! It don't get any better than this.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:37 AM

Default RE: Stupidity cost me a doe, plus its still exciting

I don't get the shakes anymore, but I sure do get excited and start breathing heavy...[8D]

I wish I was out hunting this morning instead of working; it was just a textbook morning, oh well; maybe tomorrow!
Old 10-20-2007, 11:41 AM

I haven't made the mistake of not hooking my rope to my bow but I've been waiting on it to happen. I always do a quick double-check before starting my ascent. I check to make sure the pull-rope is attached to climber and bow, the "biblical" cord that ties the top and bottom platforms of my standtogether, and I make sure I didn't leave anything on the ground. I actually thought I dropped my release the other morning but found it in the wrong pocket.[&:]

I still get excited too Coug. I hope I never lose that "high."
Old 10-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

Two weeks ago I forgot my release down in the car. Had to go back down thehillto get it. First time I ever did that. And it just happened to be on the hottest day of hunting. I didnt see anything after that.....hmmmmmm wonder why? lol
Old 10-20-2007, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoud have usedthe Force and had the bow jump into your hand from the ground, alot quicker than climbing back down. Just my .02

Shane
Old 10-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great story, Greg... that's also what always gives me indecision on shooting does any time after this time of year...