Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Climbing stick comparison

Old 10-20-2007, 04:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Climbing stick comparison

In a recent thread the Lone Wolf climbing sticks were highly reguarded. Has anyone had the oppourtunity to use the Buck Sticks by Summit?IMO just by looking at them both,Summits would attach to more oddly shaped trees than LW's, gives you a more secure footing area forboth your feet while hanging the stand or next stick and offers all the extensions you want to buy.I havn't seen the extensions offered anywhere but Summits web site, don't know for sure if LW offers one. Anyway, has anyone tried both and have an opinion they want to share before I rid my wallet of some weight?
Old 10-20-2007, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Climbing stick comparison

I haven't used either but i think why people like the lone wolf is the weight you carry . how heavy are the summits that is something to consider
Old 10-20-2007, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator

You mean Summit Bucksteps? Yes I have used both. You can buy extra LW sticks individually. My opinions follows:

Summit Bucksteps
Easy installation
Good footing area, but your feet are on top of each other throwing balance off(at least mine).

Lone Wolf Climbing Sticks
Easy installation
Steps are staggered and each step can be individually rotated right or left.
V-brackets can move freely which helps on leaning or crooked trees.
Only thing LW could do to improve sticks is to give the steps a little more distance between tree, so more of your foot is contacting the step.

I easily prefer the Lone Wolf sticks over the Summit Bucksteps,but if it wasn't so tiring installing/removing screwin steps each time and allowed on public land...........I'd use my Cranford Ezy Climb rod steps all of the time.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Coug, my concern is the foot sliding off the LW. Is that a problem when wet?
Old 10-20-2007, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rick I own the buck steps. They work very good, easy set up light great for balence. BUT!!!!! Very noisy, you have 4 pices of aluminum stacked on each other with straps and buckles attached to them. Going through the woods they are very very noisy. If I were to do it again I would definetly go with the Lone Wolf sticks!
Old 10-20-2007, 07:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

With my Non Typical's I just cinch the straps tight around the steps themselfsfromtop tobottomelimanating the noise from the buckles. I don't see why that couldn't be done with the Buck Steps do you?And you can rubber coat them with the stuff they sell at the home centers.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

i have never had a problem with my feet sliding off when they are wet! I love my Lone Wolf sticks!!! I want to try their Mini Sticks that they have!
Old 10-20-2007, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Rick, the Lone Wolf steps are what I'd call.......serrated? Gives a very good hold. I still make sure my toe is against the tree as I step on them though.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:57 AM

My only complaint of the Lone Wolf Sticks is the space from the step and the tree, I feel they need to be farther from the tree, it would make them feel much more secure when climbing!
Old 10-20-2007, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

Rick I tried the spray on rubber coating. Didnt help at all. Good luck with the noise if you buy these. By the way if you figure out how to quiet them up let me know!

Quick Reply: Climbing stick comparison

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.