Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To sharpen or not to sharpen?

Old 10-19-2007, 02:15 PM
Spike

Default To sharpen or not to sharpen?

Been shooting Muzzy and Montecs broadhead at block and 3D targets for 3 weeks now. First bowhunt is next week in IL. Broadheads are new this year, should I attempt to sharpen them before the trip or should they still be good to go?

How often do most of you sharpen your blades and would a simple fishhook sharpen work?
Old 10-19-2007, 02:19 PM

Default RE: To sharpen or not to sharpen?

all of my broadhead blades (replacable) are brand new when the go out into the woods. i have 3 broadheads i use for practice in my block, and 3 that have only touched my hand as they were being put together, to hunt with
Old 10-19-2007, 02:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Just replace the Muzzy blades, (please!).

Sharpen the montecs. A lot of people (me included) would NEVER shoot at a live animal with BH's that have been in a target. NEVER.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

sharpen the montecs and get replacement blades for the muzzys

do yourself and the game a favor and do not hunt with broadheads that have ever been shot and not resharpened. a dull broadhead will only cause you headaches and problems.

i shoot muzzys and buy a whole nother round of blades for all my heads. shoot them ALL for practice. once the ferrule is on the shaft, it dont leave..i shoot dull blades for practice and put in fresh ones to hunt. only takes a second to swap blades before and after practice..ive seen different broadheads shoot differently on different shafts..thats why i dont just designate hunting heads and target heads...swapping blades keeps more consistancy with the ferrules always being the same
Old 10-19-2007, 02:26 PM

buy new ones, lots of them.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:27 PM
Site Bouncer

Replace the Muzzy blades and sharpen the Montecs...Absolutely!!

I will never hunt with an arrow that has been used (even once) in a target unless I have re-sharpened it or replaced the blades.

No, I want the absolute sharpest blades on my arrow when I hunt....period!
Old 10-19-2007, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

don't shoot an animal with a blade that has been in a target. sharpen or replace
Old 10-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Spike

That's a good point with the Muzzys. I always knew that changing heads could lead to inaccurate arrows, but just changing the blades makes sense. For Montecs, though you have to shoot them to make sure they fly straight, right, then you have no choice but to sharpen them?

What is the best sharpening tool or method?
Old 10-19-2007, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Quick question:

I don't think a broadhead can come sharper out of the box than a Striker. You look at em wrong you bleed.
Well, after practice shooting I tried to use that fancy G5 sharpener on em. It got them sharper,
but it's not like they were when new = I'm not satisfied. Am I doing something wrong or is it just
nearly impossible to get them that sharp again?
Old 10-19-2007, 04:11 PM

ORIGINAL: LebeauHunter

Quick question:

I don't think a broadhead can come sharper out of the box than a Striker. You look at em wrong you bleed.
Well, after practice shooting I tried to use that fancy G5 sharpener on em. It got them sharper,
but it's not like they were when new = I'm not satisfied. Am I doing something wrong or is it just
nearly impossible to get them that sharp again?
Nah, it's just that the G5 sharpener isn't made to put a razor, or more to the point, a surgical edge on anything. It's okay to touch stuff up with but I pretty much retired mine to my boat for touching up fillet knives; it's worthless on broadheads.

Invest in a set of stones from 400 up to 1200 US grit (not Japanese grit) and read up on how to use them. I go as far as 2000 grit and get a seriously scary edge on the Montecs. Problem is that a good set of hones is going to cost you $150... I already had them because from being a stockmaker/gunsmith I'm super anal about having sharp tools, from filleting hundreds of pounds of fish a season I'm anal about having sharp knives and from being a bowhunter I'm anal about having sharp broadheads and I mean SHARP!

Just found this: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...&noImage=0

Quick Reply: To sharpen or not to sharpen?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.