Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

first time bowhunting ?

Old 10-19-2007, 01:48 PM
Spike

Default first time bowhunting ?

Well just starting out and havea few ?'s Looking for a harness, range finder, and do you all use lures, scents etc. One last thing, what about calls and are they easy to use... Any and all help/ suggestions will be greatly appreciated. (ie. what are good kinds and what should I use)
Old 10-19-2007, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: first time bowhunting ?

Welcome. This is my first year also, so I can relate to what you're going through. Here's a list to try to answer some of your questions.
1. Harness - I'm just using the one that came with my Summit treestand. I hear great things about the Hunter Safety System and Gorilla vest style harnesses -- more comfortable, etc. They're fairly pricy, though. Just make sure you go with the full-body style.
2. Range Finder - I just bought a Bushnell Yardage Pro -- it's not the best out there, but for archery, I think it's fine since you're not really ranging stuff out to incredible distances as you would with a rifle
3. Lures - not using any so nothing to suggest
4. Scents - just some scent eliminator, it's the Silver XP brand. Seems to work well. I use a little fresh earth spray from time to time asa cover scent.
5. Detergent - I'd recommend the ATSKO brand which is available at the local Wal-Mart. Seems to do the trick.
6. Calls - I have Hunter's Speciaties TRU Talker grunt call (also available at Wal-Mart) -- I'd read pretty favorable reviews on it, but haven't tried it yet since it was still a little early

Hope that gives you a place to start. Good luck this season.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:04 AM
Spike

Thanks for the info, I have the detergent and scent eliminator and also did some research on others items. I saw the Yardage Proand some calls at Walmart I'Ve beenlooking at. Hopefully the weather will start to change for the good around here and we can get in some good hunts. Where are you in VA., I work in Alexandria, VA.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:16 AM
Typical Buck

Everything Rockyr281 one said and above all hunt the wind. Don't go to your honey hole if the wind is wrong, no matter how good you scent control is you can't eliminate it all.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

Rocky, I'm in the Charlottesville area. I grew up in NOVA, though, in Loudoun County so I'm familiar with Alexandria. Sounds like you're fightin' 495 everyday if you live in Maryland and make that commute. My heart goes out to you.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:45 PM

da rookie pretty well nailed it. i have the gorilla vest and i like it. i did have to sew the vest to the harness though.(detachable for some reason)
range finder - i just step off certain trees/landmarks when i set up a stand
lures - i used mrsdoepee last year. unfortunatly even the "real" pee doesnt compete with real inheat does[:'(]
i also use the trutalker grunt tube - works just fine - this year im gonna try "the can" doe bleat call
Old 10-23-2007, 06:15 PM

get you a hunters safty system harness hunter specilities sent killer and grunt call and a primos can call. just find a bushnell or nikon range finder they are both really good