Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New hunter - first time out, got NADA

Old 10-19-2007, 09:44 AM

Default New hunter - first time out, got NADA

Went out Wed evening, Thurs morning and evening. Went to different spots all three times. First two times were in a treestand (got back in touch with my fear of heights) and didn't see jack squat. Third time in a ground blind in the corner of a field. In the blind, we did see 11 does in the field across the street...they have a couple of different trails that lead to the field we were in, but towards late evening as they started to cross the road, a mountain biker scared the bejeezus out of them and they ran. Only when it was too dark to shoot did they come into our field, about 100yds away.

I am not horribly disappointed, as being my first time out I learned a LOT:
[ul][*]climbing up high in a treestand scares the @#$! out of me. Call me a wuss or whatever, but I think I just need to do it a few more times before I'm comfortable enough to move around and do what I need to do. It may or may not be a height thing, as I climbed up into a 'homemade' treestand that was pretty high, but had plenty of room and rails all around. Felt comfortable there.[*]wind and scent control are critical. I feel like I did everything I could to control scent, and don't think it played a part in us not seeing anything (washed all clothes in scent free detergent, scent free soap/shampoo in the shower, scent killer spray on clothes, etc....).[*]I've heard plenty of stories, some from you guys, about not seeing or bagging anything your first few times out, so I don't feel so bad, I know it happens. I do know that the anticipation of thinking something is coming is a great rush, so even if I don't bag one, I'm still having fun.[*]being in the woods, especially for sun-up, is pretty darn cool.[*]there's always next time.
[/ul]So, Saturday it is. I think I'll hold off on taking a day off until the 1st week in November.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New hunter - first time out, got NADA

You have a great and positive attitude. Keep it up, you will get the chance soon enough!
Old 10-19-2007, 09:54 AM

hey dont feel bad about the whole fear of heights thing. im terrified of hangon stands

ladder stands dont bother me anymore (they did at first), but ive gotten used to them. if you put in enough hrs. in the stand, youll get used to em in no time
Old 10-19-2007, 09:56 AM

that's what I'm hoping for 'holic, thanks.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:04 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's awesome! Don't expect to kill deer every time out. Heck I've hunted 7 times this year and still haven't even SEEN a deer yet LOL. Bowhunting is a challenge, but that's why its so rewarding.

As far as treestand go, I hope you were wearing a safety harness. And I hope you were using some sort of linemans belt while climbing and descending. I know that I'm much more relaxed when I'm safe. Good luck.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got 8 or 9 sits this year and only saw 4 deer on 1 of those hunts.

As the annoying and old adage goes - that's why they call it hunting and not killing. I must be
getting old to even repeat that. [8D]
Old 10-19-2007, 10:32 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah, a safety harness defenitely puts you more at ease. But it does sound like you are starting off in a really good place and just rememeber that your time will come soon enough.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stay at it man....some people hunt for several years before every takin a deer with a bow.

If you are hunting that much thouh sooner or later you should have an oportunity. Keep it up!
Old 10-19-2007, 11:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Bow hunting is a different creature than rifle hunting. Once you get it down and except the fact you will not get as many opportunities as you would with a rifle, you will be ready to make the next step; Trad gear.

It took me the whole season to get my first bow deer. I ended up tagging two on the last two days of the season. Some years Ill tag out in a matter of a few hunts. Other years it will take me the whole season. Last year, I ended the year with one tag left. Last year was not a good year. Two doe and no buck.

Quick Reply: New hunter - first time out, got NADA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.