Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New hunter - first time out, got NADA

Old 10-19-2007, 12:16 PM

Default RE: New hunter - first time out, got NADA

don't be surprised if you get skunked this season... everyone does once in a while... but the drive to keep hunting will keep you out there and increase your chances... good luck man!!!
Old 10-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

Spent over 20 hours in the saddle this season so far and havent even had an oppurtunity. Talk about frusterating
Old 10-19-2007, 01:36 PM

Hate for you to get spoiled by getting something the first time out... Keep at it. It took many of us multiple years to get our first.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

eman.. Sorry to hear that you saw NADA/Zilch on your first time out but I got some bad news for you. It's gonna happen more often than not so just make sure you don't put to muchpreasure on yourself and have some fun. Lots to see out there even if its not deer.
It's not all about the killing although thats my favorite part...Shouldn't you be in the woods now??
Old 10-19-2007, 01:58 PM

yeah, well, that work thing kinda gets in the way sometimes. I have some days off comin to me, and as eager as I am to get out there I'm gonna hold on to them until the 1st week in November. I'll get back out there tom'w!
Old 10-19-2007, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

Like everybody else said don't expect to see or kill a deer every time out . I am with you on the treestand thing I hate heights I climb untill I feel comfortable I choose a tree with allot of cover around me. This year on opening moring a shot a doe 8 yards away I was only 12 feet high .
Old 10-19-2007, 02:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Went out Wed evening, Thurs morning and evening. Went to different spots all three times. First two times were in a treestand (got back in touch with my fear of heights) and didn't see jack squat. Third time in a ground blind in the corner of a field. In the blind, we did see 11 does in the field across the street...they have a couple of different trails that lead to the field we were in, but towards late evening as they started to cross the road, a mountain biker scared the bejeezus out of them and they ran. Only when it was too dark to shoot did they come into our field, about 100yds away.

I am not horribly disappointed, as being my first time out I learned a LOT:

[ul][*]climbing up high in a treestand scares the @#$! out of me. Call me a wuss or whatever, but I think I just need to do it a few more times before I'm comfortable enough to move around and do what I need to do. It may or may not be a height thing, as I climbed up into a 'homemade' treestand that was pretty high, but had plenty of room and rails all around. Felt comfortable there.[*]wind and scent control are critical. I feel like I did everything I could to control scent, and don't think it played a part in us not seeing anything (washed all clothes in scent free detergent, scent free soap/shampoo in the shower, scent killer spray on clothes, etc....).[*]I've heard plenty of stories, some from you guys, about not seeing or bagging anything your first few times out, so I don't feel so bad, I know it happens. I do know that the anticipation of thinking something is coming is a great rush, so even if I don't bag one, I'm still having fun.[*]being in the woods, especially for sun-up, is pretty darn cool.[*]there's always next time.
[/ul]
So, Saturday it is. I think I'll hold off on taking a day off until the 1st week in November.
I just enjoyed that post more than any I've read in a long time. I was RIGHT where you are exactly 2 years ago, this week.

I'm not far from there, now.....though I thought at one time I was.

Take it slow and enjoy the ride.

As far as the treestand (height).....I recall feeling the EXACT same way. It will pass, soon. You've got the right idea about scent control. Much more knowledgeable than I was at your stage. Kudos.

Being in the tree.....and watching the woods come alive in the mornings....is heavenly. I'm never more at ease. Good for you for finding that.

Good luck.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

Definitely a good post. I'm going through the same thing you are. It's my first season too. If you're anything like me, the anticipation of getting that first one under your belt is tough to bear. I didn't see anything my first few sits either. It was frustrating even though I knew not to expect to see something every time. You're keepin' it positive, though, which is great and you have a great outlook. Your post pretty much captures all the same feelings I've had since I began this adventure.
Glad to have a fellow newb on board. Here's to us connecting on our firsts (hopefully) this season !!
Old 10-19-2007, 03:22 PM

"LOL!!! The joys and frustrations of bows. I am guilty of sexy scents & grunting.

Like they mention on this site.

http://whitetail.versus.com/article.aspx?aid=421

you know I once shot a doe once near Fairfield. She ran off into the woods and as she broke through a small opening about 120 yards away, she went down. If I hadn't seen her go down, I doubt that I would have found her. I back-tracked all the way to my stand and never saw a drop of blood even though I knew where to look. no blood trial, amazing huh!