Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Daughter in the tree, thought i would share

Old 10-17-2007, 10:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default Daughter in the tree, thought i would share

Hey all, had a great hunt the other day and would like to tell you about it. I bought a ladder stand this year for the simple reason of taking my daughter with me a time or two. I don't really like how ladders "show-up" and are easy to spot, but oh well. I have two daughters ages 5 and 2. Very independant and great as far as balance, agility goes.
Ok, so it was a very warm day and daddy was not too prepared, but we got in the stand about 4:15 Pm. About 4:45 I get the old, "I'm hungry, and thirsty", ummmm, sorry dear, i don't have anything. A few minutes later we have a hawk land about 10 yards away, she loved that. Then a fat squirrel comes hopping through and a few "tweety" birds. She starts to get bored and wants to leave. i tell her I KNOW the deer will be starting to move(fingers crossed). All the while of course, she is figeting(sp), moving around, coughing, etc. Them about 5:30, I see a yearling coming close, she was about 25yards before we saw her. Now she is awake! She watches the deer for a few minutes, tugs on my pants, and says, "This is pretty cool daddy!". Well, that just made my day. So now it's getting to be the majic hour, and she wants to go home, argh. Another tug on my pants, "Dad, here comes another deer." I turn around and see the same yearling coming again. This time it's 10 yards away straight behind us and she walks behind some brush and stops. My little girl says, "SHE'S GONE!", I almost laughed out loud. The deer did not spook, but walked off. i got her to sit for maybe 5 minutes longer and we headed home. What a great day in the woods! Oh, almost forgot, the first time the yearling walks by, she whispered, "Dad, you gonna shoot it?". WE had such a great time, hope to do it again soon.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Daughter in the tree, thought i would share

That's awesome! My daughters are 3 and 4 so there a bit too young but someday I hope to get them in a stand with me. A friend of mine told me he takes his 6 year old out in a Double Bull because it masks his movement more than a ladder stand and he doesn't have to worry about the kid falling. Cool story.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any time spent hunting with them is precious, few things I did when mine where younger.

- Fill your backpack with snacks and drinks (just don't tell them you have it)
- I brought books I could read to them, basically whispering in their ear.
- don't force it, if they truely are getting bored, time to leave. Last thing you want to do is make it not fun and have them not want to come again.
- Give them a camera, with digital cams, this is even better, no running out of film or expensive developing to see pictures of the ground!

Awesome that you saw a deer, that makes it much more fun for them.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hope you have her straped in tight from the moment her feet leave the ground.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:22 AM

Mine's only 14 months, have a while to wait, another one on the way in jan.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

I know I need some snacks next time, that's for sure. Strapped down enough that she couldn't move as well as she wanted. I need to get her a better harness, rather than a modified adult harness. She had my digital with her so she was taking pictures of herself, me, and everthing else in the woods. I don't know why, but they all show up great as thumbnails, but when you open them up they have lines all over them. I tried to send them to shutterfly and they claim all of them are corrupt, not sure what happened.