Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What are some UNSAFE actions to learn by?

Old 10-17-2007, 07:46 AM

Default RE: What are some UNSAFE actions to learn by?

My wife had cocked her break down 20 ga., when she went to let the hammer back down it slipped and fired.I was standing beside her and the shot hit the ground about five feet it front of me. Didn't really bother me but messed with the wife's head for a while.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cougars09

I'll post one up, pretty stupid, and it's the only reason I could think of for young hunters not to use a 30-30

I used an old 30-30 my first 2 years hunting, and I used it on my first deer. I was roughly 11-12 years old. I had just shot my BB, and you know when you eject the cartridge, how it automatically presses down the hammer on all Lever guns. Well I shot and went to put it on safe and let the hammer up. I was so tore up I wasn't thinking and instead of putting my thumb on the hammer and pulling the trigger, I pulled the trigger first. Thank God, I was pointing it away from myself, it scared me SOOO bad. I couldn't even manage to climb down out of my ladder stand for a good 20-30minutes. I still remember it like it was yesterday and I wish I didn't.
I started deer hunting as a 14 year old with a 30-30. I know exactly what you mean. That safety mechanism scared the ****out of me! They make em now with a different design for the safety so that can't happen.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

I hadonce had a huntingbuddy that kept his shotgun loaded in the gun rack in therear window of his pickup truckwhile deer hunting in shotgun season...... well, while 2 of his hunting buddies was getting out of the truck on the passenger side he was pulling his gun from the rack it went off, blowing a hole through the post behind the passenger seat, luckly his buddies was walking to the front of the truck at that time and no one was killed ! Never Keep a loaded gun in the vehicle !!
Old 10-17-2007, 08:48 AM

i pride my self in being an extremely safe hunter - well in a moment of jealousey and stupidity while duck hunting last year i decided to switch off my safety ahead of time, because my friend was outshooting me (faster draw), and my fingers were icecycles. well in my bonehead moment i went to draw my gun up to shoot at an incoming duck, and in the motion a cattail snagged the trigger. fortunatly no one noticed - so i didnt get a beat down like i should have - but the recoil "punched" me in the chest, and the whole ordeal scared the crap out of me. needless to say ive NEVER taken my safety off prematurely since. what was so "weird" is that i had never ever done that before. all i could chalk it up for was "god works in mysterious ways" and decided i needed to learn a lesson the one and only time i decided to cheat while hunting.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

The most common one has to be climbing and descending a tree without a linemans belt. I'm guilty of this from time to time as well. I'm sure most guys tie off when they get in the stand, but most falls happen going up or coming down the tree. I'm pretty sure most people don't use a linemans belt while climbing and that's the most dangerous thing we do as bowhunters.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:02 AM

This was told to me by a friend. We were going deer hunting and he was planning on using his dads 30-30. Well, he has never used one before so his dad thought it was good to give him some practice with the hammer. He pulled it back, and as he was letting it down, i guess his thumb was sweaty and the gun went off. But, the thing is, this was inside thier house and only missed thier gasline by about 3 inches.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:26 AM

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

The most common one has to be climbing and descending a tree without a linemans belt. I'm guilty of this from time to time as well. I'm sure most guys tie off when they get in the stand, but most falls happen going up or coming down the tree. I'm pretty sure most people don't use a linemans belt while climbing and that's the most dangerous thing we do as bowhunters.
Guilty here, only use it when putting up/taking down treestand and steps.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-17-2007, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

when using a climber, make sure the top and bottom sections have the teather tied to both sections, its no fun when the bottom section takes a plunge 25' straght to the bottom while your still in the seat, i have been there, it aint pretty.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:26 AM
Fork Horn

This didnt happen to me but I was present when it happened and it scared me almost to death.

My Dad and I were hunting pheasants in central South Dakota in late October about 4 years ago. We were with our normal group, ( my dads friends since he was in the 4th grade) and also one of the group had brought along his in-law who brought along his 8-9 year old son who had a little break action .410 we all thought it was cute seeing him pop off shots at roosters and quail ( never hit one) but as we were walking near a frozen creek to some good CRP we hear a "CRACK, THUD, CRACK" we all turn around and the little guy is trying to break the ice with the butt of his gun and tilting his head back to not get ice in his eyes (i guess), and every time that stock impacted the ice the barrel was pointed right under his jaw. needless to say you will never see 6 men run on ice faster than we did, the father grabbed the gun and saw that the safety was off and it had a live round in the chamber, the father was a good man and took the gun away and didnt allow his son to even carry it unloaded for the rest of the hunt and later told us that he's not carrying anything other than a BB gun untill he's old enough to understand what he did. I couldent imagine being that father and knowing what probably went though his head when he saw his son doing that!

Quick Reply: What are some UNSAFE actions to learn by?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.