Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What are some UNSAFE actions to learn by?

Old 10-17-2007, 05:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What are some UNSAFE actions to learn by?

Don't try to scratch your back with a broadhead. I don't want to talk about it anymore.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well has anyone else ever gone up a tree in a climber, and fromthat tree, switched to another,transferring climber by either utilizing only one section at a time or using a tree limb?

Does anyone else, not hook the top and bottom sections of the climber together?

Probably both dumb practices..have only done #1 on a few occasions but rarely do I hook my top and bottom sections together.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:50 AM
Bartender

Bob I have been guilty of this. I did this back in 99 or 2000at the time it never crossed my mind. Got down to 6' and did not utilize the safety straps that go behind the boot and one foot slipped out. When I tried to get it back in the other slid out and down went the bottom. Luckily I was only that high but with all my cold weather gear on it was still a tad scary. This year is the first time I started using it again. Remember my live and learn.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Cougars09

I'll post one up, pretty stupid, and it's the only reason I could think of for young hunters not to use a 30-30

I used an old 30-30 my first 2 years hunting, and I used it on my first deer. I was roughly 11-12 years old. I had just shot my BB, and you know when you eject the cartridge, how it automatically presses down the hammer on all Lever guns. Well I shot and went to put it on safe and let the hammer up. I was so tore up I wasn't thinking and instead of putting my thumb on the hammer and pulling the trigger, I pulled the trigger first. Thank God, I was pointing it away from myself, it scared me SOOO bad. I couldn't even manage to climb down out of my ladder stand for a good 20-30minutes. I still remember it like it was yesterday and I wish I didn't.

I did the exact same thing. It is a scary feeling, with all the "what ifs" running through your head. I remember that I was close to tears the entire way home that night.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:56 AM
Bartender

Oh no you didnt, it took guts to post that though. I can hear the Wi jokes now. J/K pal I hear ya
Old 10-17-2007, 06:02 AM

Lever actions are great guns for hunting, but not for beginners. I'm surprised to hear this many "old lever" stories. And for the record that would have been my second year hunting, so 13 yrs old I think.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: MadOtis

Always tie the foot portion of your climber to the seat portion.
Learned this lesson the hard way too -- though not as dramatically as your friend. I was only about 15 feet up when my feet slid out of the bungies and the platform dropped about2 or3 feet. Now, not only do I put a dummy cord between the upper and lower portions of the climber, I've added a few straps and bungies to hold my feet in place better.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:00 AM
bigcountry

Lets see. First deer I shot, I shot with a 7400 semi when I was a kid. I let it rip 5 rounds into the bush. Some guy was yelling. Thank the Lord, nobody got hurt. I should have been horsewhipped. But a 7400 is no gun for a beginner teenager.

I also used to never tie my top of the my stand to the bottom. Dropped that, and fell out once. Figured out those cheap safety straps can kill you in a min, crushing your diaphram.

I have dry fired a bow at full draw in my life.

I used a 410 shotgun at 7 years old as a walking stick and shot it packed full of dirt.

I climbed about 25 ft in the wrong tree in the swamp (pine tree)to get up and see it was so dead, that was about to top over.

Sure there is more.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first year hunting (many years ago) and I was hunting with my Dad, a couple of uncles and cousins. We got out of the trucks and one of my cousins started loading his gun (not quite light yet and right next to the truck!). Well, in the process, doesn't the gun go off and shoot right through my uncle's radiator. All those safety lessons my Dad gave me suddenly had new meaning.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was hunting winter whitetails in PA with a flintlock muzzleloader. I had seen some deer, so I cocked the gun and set thefrizzen overflash pan, thenwaited patiently for a shot, which never presented. When I let the hammer down, I hadforgot topush the frizzen away first, and it barely touched before I tried to re-cock it. I don't know how, but it wassufficient contactto generate a spark, and she went off. Needless to say, that wasn't the first time I've looked at my hands and counted the fingers, hoping to get to ten.
__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Another "Real Men of Genius" move was when we built "the Ultimate Potato Gun" in high school. It was a 3-Liter PVC chamber, capped at both ends, andnecked down to a 60-inch,1/2" OD schedule 120 plasticbarrel(which fired AAA batteries at mind-warping speeds).

This thing really would whip a battery... Anyway, we made a wired remote ignition for it, and were attempting to "sight it in" with a peep sight and pins that we glued onto the housing. Smart.

So at first, we kept our distance, but the more we fired it, the more confident we became. Eventually, we're just standing right over it, and launching round after round down the range, gleefully enjoying our weapon of mass destruction. Of course, you know how this story ends. We were experimenting with various propellants, and wound up blowing the thing up with Aqua Net. I got a shard of PVC jammed into my chin that was stuck in there at least 3/4" deep. I thought I blew my whole jaw off.

Here's to you, Mr. Potato Gun Engineer.

Quick Reply: What are some UNSAFE actions to learn by?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.