Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Land Owner Woes

Old 10-16-2007, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Land Owner Woes

For years, I have always gotten permission to hunt someone elses' property. For several years I have had exclusive rights to hunt 300 acres of prime land. Every year I have had other people trespassing on it. It has always irked me that people don't respect other peoples' properties.

When I purchased my new place, a neighbor who has 40 acres of his own, told me that the previous owners have always allowed him to hunt this property over the years. He went on to tell me how him and his relatives would push the deer off this property onto his own to shoot them. He asked me if I'd like to join them during the hunting seasons. I explained to him (very nicely I might add) that since this was our first season on this property, I was going to reserve it to myself and my son.

Last week, I had someone erase 4 photos off of one of my trailcams. Tonight, while I was unloading rocks for the firepit in the backyard, I heard a succession of 3 quick shots and one delayed one. I looked in the direction of the shots and there were several deer jumping over my fence and headed North. I finished unloading the rocks post-haste and drove to my North fence line I searched the fenceline and the property to the North and saw no one. I then drove to another advantage point where I could see all the way to my "neighbors" house. Not a person in sight. I sat there for 20 minutes without seeing anyone. I thought about driving back to the garage and getting my ATV to drive my fence line, but figured by the time I got there and back, whoever was there would be gone.

It really irks me when people don't respect others and it looks like I am going to have to take it to law enforcement to keep whoever this is off. I hate to do it, but what other options do I have?

Old 10-16-2007, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Land Owner Woes

wow this really is horable why cant other hunters just respect one anther? I fell bad for you and your son trying to hunt this property.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

sorry to hear that! I understand where your coming from. here in southern Pa. Its getting real bad people are always where they should not be. Everything is posted and there is no where to hunt so I guess people just figure what the heck and walk right in! Sorry sir.!
Old 10-17-2007, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know what you are saying. I have a neighbor who loves to through their garbage/debris on my property. I guess they had permission (nothing in writing) before the property was mine. [:@]

Also caught them hunting it last year. Well, I actually followed footprints in the snow back to their place. If they do it again, they will be arrested.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

I feel for you Mark. Trouble is, some folks think that they are entitled to do whatever they please. I've been fighting the same situation for decades here in Virginia. They'll run dogs through the land, they'll trespass, vandalize posted signs, leave trash, hunt drunk, and wound / kill a lot of deer that they never recover. The local sheriff is a member of the hunt club that is across the river from my property, so he's no help (but there is an election this year and he has a serious challenger).

My favorite part is when you catch them red handed, confront them there on your property (10:00 in the morning and they're on their 4th or 5th beer) and they get belligerent and then have the audacity to ask you for permission to hunt your land:

[blockquote]
Me - "This is private land. It's posted. I have three other people out here in stands including my son. You need to leave."
Them - "I don't give a damn what you say, we've been huntin' this land for 20 years!"
Me - "Then you've been trespassing and poaching for 20 years. We've owned this property for almost 100 years. You need to leave now."
Them - "Well, we're just looking for our dogs."
Me - "Then why are you carrying shotguns and not wearing orange? It doesn't take three of you wearing cammo and carrying shotguns to retrieve dogs."
Them - "Well, you know, dogs can't read posted signs."
Me - "Can you?"
Them - "Your father gave us permission to hunt here."
Me - "He gave me power of attorney over this land years ago and hasn't given anyone permission to hunt in over 20 years."
Them - "Well, do you think he would give us permission?"
[/blockquote]
Old 10-17-2007, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

My son-in law in Kansas has the same problem, several times he has found bucks with just the heads cut off on his land. He puts in alot of time to make good habitat for the deer for someone that gets very little time to actualy hunt with his son, and then some skumbags will jacklight the place!
He is now to the point where he has planted spiked boards around his fields!
Old 10-17-2007, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Them - "Your father gave us permission to hunt here."
Me - "He gave me power of attorney over this land years ago and hasn't given anyone permission to hunt in over 20 years."
Them - "Well, do you think he would give us permission?"
LOL. That about tells it all.

We also deal with a fellow on our lease that always claims that he's lost. [:@]
Old 10-17-2007, 08:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Gentleman we have owned our land for 160 years, I have heard it all.

It's Called "Self Entitlement"
Old 10-17-2007, 08:21 AM

AF hunter sorry to hear about what is going on with your land, read several of your post, you sound like an outstanding man. Problem you have is the people around you are lacking in respect. Maybe a few years in the military having a D.I putting hisboot up there A$$ would teach them about respecting others.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't had any problem with tresspassers other than this. I have 140 acres and another land owner has 160 to the south and 160 to the west. He has let a friend of mine hunt it for at leas 30 years. Well, his son hunts it now and he is a prick. He set up a tripod stand about 20 feet from my south fence in the very corner of one of the quarter sections. I know I can't keep him from hunting there, but his stand is facing my property and he throws bait over the fence onto my property. One reason he does that is to keep cattle from getting the bait because there are no cattle on my side. He did it last year and after season I piled brush where he had the bait pile and I checked just a couple of days ago and he cleared the brush away and put the bait there again. He has 320 acres of prime hunting land right there plus two or three other places he hunts and he has to do that.

He's the type of guy that gets mad when he hears about me or my hunting buddy killing a deer. His dad is a friend of mine and I don't really know what to do except to pile a bunch of big trees there next year.

Quick Reply: Land Owner Woes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.