Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who carries a hangon up and down on their back?

Old 11-25-2007, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who carries a hangon up and down on their back?

I have a coupe sets of LW sticks and stands. I can be set up in the tree quicker (five to tem minutes tops) than with a climber and quieter. Canlt beat LW for portability and quiet.

I bought some gorrilla sticks this year and let me tell you they are nice. What I like is the steps are on each side per step. And they are rock solid with nonslip material on each step. But what I really like about them is this. You can wrap your one leg b/t the step and tree and you are able to use both hands to hang the stand. They are a lot heavier than the LW however and would not want to pack them any great distances.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

I do.

I own about 15 hang-ons. I have owned two climbers in the past. For my purposes, climbers are useless. Too much modification to the trees, not as many choices for placement, heavier, etc....
Old 11-25-2007, 08:16 AM
Typical Buck

sell me your climbers!!

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

I've done it a couple times. I intend on doing it more. I think the more you do it the easier it gets. I've often thought about completely bagging the climber, using my LW stix & light weight hang on and just be able to go in any tree, instead of straight branchless ones.
My thoughts exactly rybohunter!
Old 11-25-2007, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are hunting private landmultiple hang on standsare the ticket. You can buy good ones for $50, steel are good aluminum is not needed, 15lbs toonot real heavy. I use tree steps as well. Over the yearsI have collected many steps and stands.I like to hunt from trees where there is cover, usually not possible with a climber. I like to have everything ready and in place whenI get there to hunt, right down to the quiver mount. If I have to I can movea hang on pretty quick.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:39 AM
Typical Buck

Well I gotta say this has opened my eyes to a whole new craziness. I do 95% of my hunting from a climber, love the mobility and some spots I have, the deer are very sensitive to permanents(meaning they know and avoid them like the plague). I do hate the limited to a telephone pole aspect of them though. I can be up and set up with my climber in 5 minutes. The thought of using a hang on as a portable sounds great to me but seems like 1.Thats a lot of work in the dark to get accomplished quickly and quietly and scentless. 2.Thats a lot of stuff to cart into the woods (stand, ladder, or steps, clothes in a back pack cause there's no way this would go down fully dressed, bow, regular hunting pack) for a morning or afternoon hunt.
I hung 2 permanents this year and found that the sticks that attach to eachother are not the way to go, tree still needs to be straight. Has everyone else had this problem? How does everyone get all this stuff into the woods with them without having to shower again?
Old 11-25-2007, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

I think all types of treestands can be unsafe it all depends on the user and their attention to safety.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:17 PM
Typical Buck

loogout1, Getting the stuff in there without sweating is a real issue, especially in warm weather. I don't put on my outer layer or two until I get the sticks and stand in place, which usually works, and I tend to sweat a LOT. That doesn;pt work as well in warm weather, though. That's one reason I put a high value on the weight of the equipment. Lone Wolf stuff is really light. 4 sticks with a hangon stand (Alpha Assault) is only 19 lbs, less than many climbers.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:33 PM
Typical Buck

Are those LW sticks independent of one another, meaning they dont attach to each other?
Old 11-25-2007, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cougar Mag,

I always carry a Lone Wolf with sticks in my vehicle. They are extremely safe and lightweight.. an ease to set up and have helped me a great deal in bagging some great whitetail bucks over the past few years. I love them.. you will love them too.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

And yes loogout the LW sticks are independent of one another. I can hang a lone wolf in the dark in about 10 minutes. And they can be hung in some very ackward trees.

Quick Reply: Who carries a hangon up and down on their back?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.