Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who carries a hangon up and down on their back?

Old 10-21-2007, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Who carries a hangon up and down on their back?

I too bought a LW hang on and 4 stiks this year and really like them. I actually scored on my first doe of the yearback inSeptemberthe first time I used them. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to attachthe 4 stiks without having to climb down and get the next stik. It seems to me from the posts I've read that most everyone is able to climb with the stiks and hang them as they go up the tree. Is this correct or not?Greg/MO I would like to hear your comments if you don't mind as well as any others. Thanks

[/align]
Old 10-21-2007, 02:04 PM

To be honest Greg, I always thought hang-ons were more of a permanent setup for the season.[&:] I did not realize that people actually carried them in on the day of the hunt. It seemed to be a lot of trouble IMO but you guys make it sound easy. I'm definitely gonna practice hanging mine this week.

As far as the climber thing goes; it sounds like the safest way to hang one, more troublesome though. I like the idea of having solid footing while 20-30' up in the tree.

Greg, that sure is some nice looking camo you got there buddy!All kidding aside, thats absolutely perfect for that spot.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Greg, I use the non typical ladders and what I do is hang the stand in between two steps on the ladder. That way I can climb up above the stand by one step so I can step down on the stand and when leaving the stand I can still step down onto the ladder. I also place it so I'm stepping onto the stand with my left foot and leaving with my right. This way I can test the stability of the stand and ladders by putting weight down upon them while still supporting myself on the ladders or the stand. Works for me.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like a good idea, Rick.

jcpopejr,

To be honest, the Lone Wolf system is a bit cumbersome to me and involves a bit of extra work -- at least in trips up the tree. Remember that I cut my bowhunting teeth the first five years or so using a hang-on and Cranford screw-in steps; with those, it's extremely simple to have the stand on your back, and just screw in steps as you climb to your desired height. I can get the first three steps done standing on the ground... the first one goes right above my right knee, the second one around sternum height, and the third one goes around nose height... I've only got six more to screw in, and I'll be at 20' or so.

With the LW climbing sticks, the best way I've figured out how to do it so far is to hang the first stick while I'm standing on the ground, then step up onto that and hang the second. I then climb back down to the ground, grab the third stick and climb up onto the second stick and hang that one. I then climb back down again and grab the fourth stick, and throw the stand onto my back. I climb up, hang the fourth stick and hang the stand. I've heard of people putting the last step in their mouths like a dog would carry a bone on the way up, too...

That process takes a couple times of coming back down, and after a year of hunting with the Alpha Hang On and four climbing sticks, it's still a toss-up in my mind as to whether it's easier for me use the LW climbing sticks, or to take the Cranford steps in with me... I will say that it's FAR less bulky and quiet to use the screw-in steps... I need to weigh the LW system on my digital scale, but I'd bet a good sum of money that the Alpha Hang On and four sticks weigh more than my climber, so just a hang-on and nine screw-in steps are much lighter.

I know Todd Pringnitz hangs a ton of these every year; maybe we can talk him into showing exactly how he does it on his next DVD... It'd certainly fit the theme of their concept in trying to show "behind-the-scenes" stuff... Just look at how much interest this thread generated. There's obviously an audience who would benefit from it if they'd film Todd hanging a set... Maybe I'll PM him and let him know of the idea...
Old 10-22-2007, 02:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

I take the S hooks that are on thestraps of theladders and hook them into my belt loops and climb very carefully so as not to bang them together. Beats climbing up and down the tree numerious times. I also have my pull up rope attached to my stand and pull that up after the last ladder has been hung then climb down and hook up the bow and take a little breather before going back upfor the final time.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:11 AM
Typical Buck

I use 4 LW climbing sticks. I put the first one on while I'm standing on the ground, then climb on the first one to put the second one on.Then I climb back down,loop bothends of the one of the LW stick's strap to the versa button and then usethe hanging strapas a shoulder strap and carry the other stick. I climb to the second stick, attach the stick I'm caryring in my hand. Then climb onto that third stick to attach the last one thatI carriedstrapped to my shoulder. That way, I only have to go down once for the sticks, and not far back down, at that, then once for the stand, once all of the sticks are hung.

I tried Crawford steps. They were much bette rthan the other steps I tried, but I still found them hard to screw in on the left side. I'm kind of retarded with my left hand, though.[8D]
Old 10-22-2007, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I practiced setting up and hunted this weekend, with my 4 LW sticks. 1st stick placed while on the ground. Then place the secong stick while on the 1st. Loop one stick over each shoulder. place sticks 3 &4. (this was tricky and needs practiced some more) Then back up with the stand. (I may do the pull up rope for that in hte future, not sure) One thing that I REALLY felt was a postive in speed and comfort was the ability to hang my stand without getting dressed. Once it was done, I can quickly finish dressing at the bottom, & the final climb up & in does not over heat me. WIth my climber its either dress before climbing and over heat. Or dress up in my stand(unsafe and slow)
Old 10-22-2007, 10:29 AM
Typical Buck

I know what you mean, Rybo. But I feel like if I dress at the bottom of my stand, I've leaving scent there. I use layers and that seems to work pretty well to prevent overheating. I just add the final layer or two once I'm up in the stand and rested from hanging it.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

By dress I meant adding my outside layers. Walking in and stuff I have to basically wear my lightest base layer as a shirt or I’m done. I’m fully dressed in gear otherwise. I just carry my coat and some intermediate layers depending on temperature.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:44 AM
Super Moderator

Well, after using my new Lone Wolf Assault a couple of weeks I've found that I can carry the stand up and down on my back, but I wouldn't advise carrying any stand up or down on your back while using sticks, steps, etc. to anyone the way I do it. When at my chosen height to to hang my stand I take one arm out of the backstrap and while sliding the other arm out I keep contact with and grip the stand with one hand to hang it. In fact its much easier to put the stand on my back after unhanging the stand before climbing down. Its the only stand I own that I will carry on my back going up and down.

Quick Reply: Who carries a hangon up and down on their back?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.