Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who carries a hangon up and down on their back?

Old 10-15-2007, 12:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Who carries a hangon up and down on their back?

I've been doing it, got sick of it and ordered LW hand climber
Old 10-15-2007, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

I've been doing it, got sick of it and ordered LW hand climber
Understood, but I believe using the sticks and the Assault(or Alpha) I'll have more options in the woods, quite possibly giving me better shot opportunities and spending less time looking for a suitable tree to climb. At least thats how it looks in my hunting areas. I've used climbers for years..........just doing some thinking.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tie a rope to my stand tie the other end to a belt loopclimb my tree with steps, ladder ,etc screw in a T screw pull my stand up set it on the T screw put a rachet strapon top and bottom and Im done fast and can go in any tree I want.Now as far as climbers go I dont like them. I just dont feel assafe as I do in a fixed stand and you dont get the cover you can get with a fixed stand.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not to hijack your thread Cougar Mag, but while everyone seems to be familiar with hanging lock on stands, I thought I would pose this question. What kind of ratchet straps can you use in a quick set up before first light (or in the afternoon for that matter) that will not make noise, or make the least noise. I thought Lock On stands were supposed to be all about stealth. I just do not understand how you can be quiet while installing a noisy ratchet strap. Can someone give me some feedback here?

Thanks, LT
Old 10-15-2007, 01:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: LouisianaTomkat

Not to hijack your thread Cougar Mag, but while everyone seems to be familiar with hanging lock on stands, I thought I would pose this question. What kind of ratchet straps can you use in a quick set up before first light (or in the afternoon for that matter) that will not make noise, or make the least noise. I thought Lock On stands were supposed to be all about stealth. I just do not understand how you can be quiet while installing a noisy ratchet strap. Can someone give me some feedback here?

Thanks, LT
I have a thread on a back page from yesterday asking where I can get the speed hitch ropes so I can do away with thestraps. It had no answers but doing a search I found this butjust too expensive to outrig 4 ladders or sticks if you will.

http://www.locontreestandsllc.com/speedhitchrope.php
Old 10-15-2007, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've always done that. I could climb and hang quieter than any climberstand I've ever heard. I use a rock climbing belt and strap in before hanging the stand so I have both hands free. I used to use screw-ins because they are small and fit in a fanny pack. They have aged beyond useful life and I haven't found an acceptable small/quiet stick ladder solution, though I'm looking at LW sticks, so I'm hunting the ground where mobility is necessary. I'll put up stands on my property and hunt them but when I have to go into a new place that requires same-day hanging I am currently using my ghillie and tree seat. The key is to have one good stand that has been custom quieted (moleskin etc) by you and that you know well enough to hang with your eyes closed, on multiple types of trees.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rickmur, I have one of those off of an old Loggy Bayou Cheap Seat. I really just don't trust it enough for my liking. I believe they still sell those on their site in the replacement parts section. Loc-On still sells them as well, yet like you mentioned, too pricey.

I have been looking for a strap with a locking adjustable binder on it for this purpose. It is similar to the old chains if you remember that people locked their boats down on the trailer with. If I could find a strap like that, I would purchase several. They would have to have a locking pin of sorts though, so the binder could not come unlatched.

LT
Old 10-15-2007, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gplant

I tie a rope to my stand tie the other end to a belt loopclimb my tree with steps, ladder ,etc screw in a T screw pull my stand up set it on the T screw put a rachet strapon top and bottom and Im done fast and can go in any tree I want.Now as far as climbers go I dont like them. I just dont feel assafe as I do in a fixed stand and you dont get the cover you can get with a fixed stand.

EXACTLY, well said.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love them. I use them way more than my climbers. I usually use my climbers when I find a hot new spot and want to hunt it immediately and during the rut. The system I use with my hang ons takes a couple of minutes longer than my climber but is very quiet and easy to set-up.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

LT, when I'm looking for absolute stealth in attaching my fixed-position stands, I've got several different options in my arsenal... they all revolve around not having ratcheting-type straps.

My Lone Wolf Alpha hang-on and Summit Copperhead Compact both have straps that simply cinch tight, and allow the act of unfolding the stand as it digs into the tree to place even more pressure on the strap, thereby cinching it down even tighter. I can hang both of these stands safely and so quiet that I could have a deer bedded within 25 yards and he'd never know it as long as he couldn't see me.

I've also got a few older Staghorns that have real compression straps on them. They're the next best thing... They actually tighten a whole lot more, as you pull the strap as tight as you possibly can, and then fold over the compression buckle. I can get these so tight that it's almost hard to close the buckle. The downside to these is they may squeak VERY slightly from the sheer pressure you're placing on them as you fold over the buckle... In other words, I couldn't hang them within 25 yards of a deer.. but probably 75, for sure.

Quick Reply: Who carries a hangon up and down on their back?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.