Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What to look for (Rambling)?

Old 10-15-2007, 08:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Default What to look for (Rambling)?

If I hunt deer that free-range a square mile......I can tell you for sure, right now.....that there are at least20 less does in the herd, today....than there would have been (based on the road kills I know about....my kills and the kills of my neighboring farmer via depredation permit). I'm also positive the doe groups I've been targeting range less than that sq. mile, typically.

Is this enough to make a difference in the rut? Just an educated guess? Wild guess??....lol
Old 10-15-2007, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What to look for (Rambling)?

What do you suppose yourbuck to doe ratio is now, considering there are now 20 less does? Are you seeing alot of bucks?
Old 10-15-2007, 08:30 AM

I think that either it will make the bucks increase their range or become more aggressive during the rut, which could be a good thing. Where I hunt compared to last year, there arent any deer. About 100 acres have been logged next to where I hunt, which is only a strip of about 150 acres. The deer are all but absent compared to last year. I have found 2 rubs and I have seen one deer from the stand in 3 weeks of hunting. Soooooo saying that I will not be trying to shoot a doe every weekend like I did last year because Im trying to attract deer to the farm. There are alot of factors that go along with your question. Food is an important one especially later in the season after the acorns are gone. Im kinda in the same situation as you and would like to hear what people say.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Here's my season, so far (Sightings):

88 Deer from stand.....49 Does.....7 Bucks.....32 Fawns....and 38 total of the (88) I've seen have been in bow range.

So.....you see why I'm taxed with doe reduction?

Here's the kicker....

I have a good number of deer where I hunt. What I do NOT have (on the parcels I have permission to hunt is: A) Bedding area B) Feeding grounds.....before mast crops.

I am relegated to catching them on their travel routes to and from their early season feding grounds until the acorns start to fall. So.....If their range is a square mile.....they really have NO reason to visit my woods until the acorns fall. Still.....they're un-pressured....and they utilize these travel routes.

Once the acorns start to fall......all the deer will (my hypothesis) eat up the available mast crops in their "sanctuary" (My October lull)....then they'll venture out further and further.....until they're coming into where I can hunt them. This is about the time the girls get a bit amorous....and it all works out.

At least it will.....if recent history repeats itself. I'm hoping the lack of 20+ does will make a difference in the rut. Hoping.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Jeff, when do your acorns come down? Ours are on the ground but I know that changes as you go south.

Rambling thoughts....if you know of 20 doe down, you saw 49, minus the 20 you know that are taken, that's 29 does for 7 bucks that you saw, not to mention the fawn does that might come in late estrous. We know that there are doe you have not seen as well as bucks you have not seen. Your sightings consist of a 4:1 doe to buck...I've seen worse however your still plexed with alot more doe than you need. Based on sightings alone.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:48 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-15-2007, 08:56 AM
Dominant Buck

My acorns are on the ground, right now.....and they're still falling. My theory (that I stated, above).....is they'll eat up all the acorns in the parks system, first.....and then venture further and further away (bucks) as they HAVE to. This will just happen to coincide with when the girls get frisky, I'm betting.

I'd like to be done taking does in a couple of weeks.....and sit back and relax.....and wait for a buck that tickles my fancy. That would be ideal, to me. My goal at the beginning of the year was to be done with the does by 11/8 (two months into my season). I may make it, yet.

I JUST went back and looked at my journal from last year. Although I've hunted more times, this year......at this point last year I had seen EXACTLY seven bucks. I ended up seeing 37 more (sightings) from 10/24 - 12/19.

I know the best is yet to come.