Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What about forks and 6pt's

Old 10-15-2007, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What about forks and 6pt's

Jeff,
I don’t think it would ever be a realistic scenario where you’d have too many bucks. Their natural mortality rate is higher than does. I also haven’t seen any mention of targeting does across age classes either. Doe is a doe, shoot them and let the class fall where they may. Doe age classes aren’t as critical to the overall herd as I don’t think you’d ever get the slaughter of a single age class like is often seen with bucks.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Probably not too realistic, rybo.....but a friend has a lease in the next county. He saw 48 deer over there in just a few sits, last year. All but 9 were bucks. Great "problem" to have, I suppose.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have been seeing a lot of really big bodied two to four year old bucks in one area I hunt and some of them are nice bucks(big 6's and 8's). But some of them are scrub racked (small, no brow tines, no mass). These are deer we will take out when possible. Taking into consideration that we have 3 buck tags in VA and 3 for NC. I can see how someone with limited tags wouldn't want to do that. We also try to use all of our doe tags each season and fill as many DMAP doe tags as possible. It seems to workout pretty good for us and the farmers.

Next spring/summer we are going tomake a better effort to provide other protein/nutrient richsmall food plots in addition to the crops to seewhat kind ofimprovements we will see. With the corn being recently cut we went out and spread some winter wheat and snow peas in lots of the field corners to try and help them when it gets cold.

We are not trophy huntersby any means and honestly sometimes a young buck is just in the wrong place at the wrong time and gets whackedbut for the most part we try to limitwhat "we"take in that sense and save a tag or two for a big one.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:58 AM
Site Buck Guru

GMMAT, that is a big 6 for sure!