Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What about forks and 6pt's

Old 10-14-2007, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What about forks and 6pt's

Your exactly right planter. Shooting anything but a mature deer does kinda defeat the purpose of QDM. But depending on genetics and nutrients a certain buck may only reach a certain size. You need to be able to look at a deer and try to guess his age by body posture and other characteristics.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:47 PM
Typical Buck

It really is about the antlers. I live and hunt in a bow only area that is pretty infested with deer. So much that we can literally shoot unlimited does. My philosophy is shoot all the does you can and let the little bucks grow up to be big bucks. If you shoot that 4 pointer, you wont ever have the chance to shoot him as a 8.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

i prefer to shoot 2 does for every one buck per year since it seems alot of hunters will only shoot bucks these days, so I'm gonna do what I can to help!

ALSO I understand shooting 3pt and even fork bucks especially if you only get out 2 maybe 3 times a year, in some ways they can be considered trophys also since, lets face it, we didnt get into bowhunting cause its easy just my 2 cents
Old 10-15-2007, 12:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's about growing quality, maturebucks. If you shoot immature deer, they'll never get any bigger. By allowing them to grow up, they stand a much better chance of reaching trophy potential. Now, if you're seeing MATURE bucks carrying 4 and 6 point racks, then they're the "cull" bucks that you want to remove from the herd before they spread those genes. I don't have access to any large tracts of land and there are plenty of hunters around here who will shoot the first buck they see. I still pass on immature bucks hoping that I'll get another chance at them when they're mature, but they usually see another hunter who's not so choosy before I see them again.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Any of you QDM guys speak up.....

Is this what QDM is "Really" about?.......growing "quality, mature buck"???

Old 10-15-2007, 04:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

From everything I've read, I understandQDM as being a philosophy that puts the deer herd in balance with the habitat and also within itself. It provides a proper age structure and buck to doe ratio within the herd. And basically it boils down to shooting only mature bucks regardless of size. There is no "Culls" or anything like that. Age base only. So yes those young 4-6 and even 8's are to let walk. I think they also encourage mature does to be taken out as well, but I am not quite sure they are as adamant about that part since many does need taken and you may not be able to reach the quota by only shooting mature ones.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:19 AM
Dominant Buck

rybo (and others):

In QDM (I am a freelance, fledgling practioner)......we most of the time deal with doe pops. that are out of whack. When this is the case, it's "my" understanding that it's best to take animals (does, in this scenario) that are representative of all age groups, when we're talking about trying to get the ratio manageable. If the transverse were the case (too many bucks).....would we not do the same thing?

I have no idea of the proper management technique.....this is a question.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:20 AM
Site Buck Guru

I would love to shoot a 6 pointer that makes P&Y.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:27 AM
Dominant Buck

GregH:

I'm not sure this one would.....but do you agree you'd like to see this one come by? This was on the wall of my taxi the day I picked up my buck.

(Look at the buck on the top, right)

Old 10-15-2007, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got a P&Y eight running around where I hunt, a total monster 8..
Back to the other thing, I would shoot small bucks if they have no potential. In example I've got a new buck on my ground that has one spike, so I may take him out of the gene pool. But where I hunt there are just as many bucks (if not more) than does. Problem is most of them are small 4, 6, and 8 pointers. I personally have not taken nor would take a shot at the 1 or 2 year old small rack bucks, give them a couple years to see what happens. Now I don't worry about keeping the bucks in check like I would does because during gun season and deer drives etc people shoot it if it's brown so I know many of them are taken during that time..

Now there are some "monsters" running around, I have pics of several but they are mostly nocternal and very hard to hunt, hard or not these are the ones that I'm after.. If not then does sure do make good meat!!!! This is just me though..

Quick Reply: What about forks and 6pt's

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.