Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Missing deer

Old 01-15-2003, 09:59 AM

Default Missing deer

Like to have some advice,Ihave a sumit viper climbing stand,I am
about 25 feet up the tree.I shoot all sommer, even from a 20 foot
platform at a deer target at about 20 to 30 yards and can pull all
my arrows out in the red dot on the deer target.I also can shoot
all my arrows in a 3d target at 20 yards in the hart.I have trouble
hitting a real deer less the 20 yards,I'm hitting low to the left
My sight is right on at 20 yards.I missed three nice bucks this year.

Macduck
Old 01-15-2003, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Missing deer

Sounds like you are "peeking", or trying to see the arrow hit the deer. It'll throw your shot off every time. Relax, take a deep breath, ease it out slowly and "listen" don't look for the hit. Might be a tad bit o buck fever there also...

~Will Hunt For Food~
Old 01-15-2003, 11:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Well you see, those wild deer don't have that "Red Dot" on them. Neither should your practice deer. You're peeking, not taking a sight picture, not picking a hair.... or all the above. Hold on just one more split second before you let that shot go. Check the sight picture and the "SPOT" you're trying to hit. Don't worry bout that "Red Dot". They don't exist. Don't shoot at that deer. Deer are made up of parts... with lines and creases separating the parts. Aim for a part or a crease and see what happens. Don't worry about that deer. You can't eat the whole thing. Just parts. Shoot a part.

Edited by - davidmil on 01/15/2003 12:44:31
Old 01-15-2003, 11:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Listen to david, he said it all, of course buck fever can eneter the picture also!

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Proud father of a Devil Dog
Old 01-15-2003, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

The others have good advice. I can only add one VERY important thing.

DRAW your bow and THEN bend at the waist (not bending will actually cause the arrow to shoot higher) and the most important, concentrate on an imaginary spot or hair on the deer. LOL

"Semper Fi"
Old 01-15-2003, 12:10 PM

Thanking averyone for the advice,I think basserman hit the nail on the head, I draw my bow when I am bending, I don't feel as though I have buck fever,I seem to be calm when I shoot, its someting I' doing when I dwaw the bow back, Basserman could be wright, I'm not missing by much, some people say it could be with all the clothing I have on and should practice that way.

Thank you

Macduck
Old 01-15-2003, 12:44 PM
Typical Buck

25 feet??? Why so high?
Old 01-15-2003, 01:00 PM
Spike

Perhaps you are not at your anchor point. If you use a kisser are you getting it in place? The excitement of having a deer come in can screw up our shooting process. You could try concentrating on the steps you need to take. Of course practice normally makes this all automatic. Draw, anchor, sight, relax then release.

Hope that helps,
Bill

Old 01-15-2003, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

macduck, Even though you should always draw and bend at the waist do not take my info as the remedy for you shooting low. As I said not bending generally causes you to shoot high not low. As cyclone and dm said, Don't peek or anticipate the shot. This will cause you to lean into your shot and drop your bow arm. Concentrate on your "spot" and let the shot happen. I hope I didn't confuse you by adding in the waist thing. LOL

"Semper Fi"
Old 01-15-2003, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

are you practicing with your broadheads to see if they hit the same spot as your field tips?

Quick Reply: Missing deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.