Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 10-13-2007, 09:08 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-13-2007, 09:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rifle Hunting. Whats your take??

When I'm at the airport in Alberta on my way to the Edmonton Bow Zone, I getrifle huntersasking me, " you're bowhunting"? Like I'm nuts or something.Everyone at the hotel is agun hunter as well. In 2 years up thereI've yet to see another bowhunter, other than my small group.
It's nowhere nearly as intense killing a deer at 100 or more yrds with a rifle, than it is at 20-30yrds with a bow, as far as I'm concerned. You see much more from the animal up close and personal.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:12 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-13-2007, 01:06 PM
Dominant Buck

I like mortars. Large kill radius and I can shoot from WAY OFF. I can shoot over hills and across small mountain ranges. Besides that, they don't know where it's coming from and they might just run toward you.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:17 PM
Dominant Buck

If he didn't say this first......he said it the first time I heard it.

Greg/MO said, once.....(and I'll paraphrase).....

With rifle hunting....the hunt is over as soon as I see the animal. With bow hunting....it merely BEGINS when I see the animal.

If I didn't do that justice....I apologize. I agree with the ideology, though.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:18 PM
Little Doe Peep

We've heard that a deer gets hit by a car every six minutes in Michigan. My husband keeps threatening to buy an old car and just drive around at night until he gets his deer.

Seriously, gun or bow, whatever you're in the mood to shoot with as far as I'm concerned.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

Exactly Early. Most gun hunters and especially diver/pushers dont experience wildlife in its truest form. This year, the Lord has blessed me with several awesome hunts. Numerous deer from right under my stand on out to 100 yards plus. But, Ive got to watch them in their natural ways, un pressured, un interupted. I just dont foresee being able to have such an upclose and personal experience with a deer with gun in hand. Its about the experience as a whole, not just killing a beautiful doe or monster buck. Keep up the bowhunting, best of luck !!
That is THE most inaccurate post I have ever seen ...... you speak of what you do not know ...
Old 10-13-2007, 01:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

i love hunting peirod rifle shotgun bow muzzleloader even a rock if i had to

i have no proplem with one useing any legel method of hunting.

But as a bow hunter i understand how much it is harder. And even though i have not got a kill yet i understand how much rewarding it is

on my first four hunts i have seen 13 deer three half days and one full day hunts

about 10 of thosei could have shot with a shotgun muzzleloader or rifle

if i could use a rilfe i would or even a shotgun

the land i hunt is bow only privit land .

But my first choice is the bow and if by rifle season i have no kill i would go to the gun

and with your military background i would say a ar15 in a 308 or the new 450bushmaster wouldbe great for you . ars are not seen as a hunting rifle that much but take it from some onethat has hunted with one it would be my choice of rifle

good luck on your land buy and you might look at ky they have a long bow season from sept to end of jan i think andrifle and muzzleloader season
Old 10-13-2007, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with everyone else (well, almost everyone. Jeeze Jim, your last three posts that I've seen leave alot to be desired).

BowhuntingIS hunting, to me, but I've been thinking about the muzzleloader lately. Percussion-cap, round-ball, not the modern ones. I'd give it a go with a nice Hawken. But that's the only firearm I think of hunting with. I agree with you Droptine, that drivers and most rifle-hunters don't get the same experiences bowhunters do as far as the up-close-and-personal attributes of the hunt. But, if I just wanted to make meat, I'd grab a rifle. Bowhunting is making me into a much better hunter than I'd ever become if Ihunted with a rifle. To each their own and I'm not slighting anyone for how they hunt, but getting close enough tohear their breathing, watching a doe groom her fawn at 15-yards,that's the hunt for me.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:15 PM

You may want to stay away from Michigan. Our property taxes are fairly high, and archery season is closed during firearm season.

This has never really made any sense to me, and I could never find anybody who could explain why this is.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.