Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

game camera problem

Old 01-15-2003, 06:50 AM

Default game camera problem

I posted this in hunting gear section but
didnt get much response. Was wondering if
anyone using a game camera (mine is the
NONTypical DC100), has any problem with
empty pictures. The company says its due
to the position of the camera in relation to
the sun and or weather temperature fluctuations.
I say the unit is too sensitive and I should
send it back. Do any of you have this same problem
when setting up facing easterly or westerly directions?
Old 01-15-2003, 07:30 AM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: game camera problem

BH, I dont have this camera but I have the game cam II and its been back to the company 3 times with this same problem. 6 or 7 roles of film now and all shots are the same. A empty field. Different times and dates.
I guess that the deer are just so small they cant be seen or that they are ghost of hunting seasons past.
I have the camera out there now to see if the last fix from the company works.
Send it back and tell them to fix it.
Rick

Lifes not about knowing the answers, its about asking the questions.
Old 01-15-2003, 07:57 AM
Spike

I too have the DC100. I just got it a few months ago. So far only two rolls of film threw it, with nothing to show except the same picture of an empty trail. I put the first roll in only to have exytreme wind conditions follow. I don't know if that was the problem. It seemed to work a little by the time stamp, but then it would take a string of pictures of nothing. Next roll I tried to change the direction I had it pointed. Same results. It woud seem to work for a while, then just eat up the balance of the roll. I now have it set in a more poen area, hoping to eliminate any brush movement. I also set it in a more shaded area trying to see if the direct sun is effecting it. I don't know i'm confused!
Old 01-15-2003, 08:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wow, my buddy and I use the DC100 and have only had a couple of pictures with nothing at all. I am talking a couple out of hundreds of pictures. Now the DC100 has a sensitivity jumper that can be set to high or low. Make sure you have it set to the right one as directed by the instructions.

Also, check the picture out very carefully. Sometimes wildlife can blend it pretty good. Many times I have missed what is in the picture at first glance.

But the sensor in this unit is a PIR and it is supposed to be set off by heat in motion and not just motion.

My Web Page
www.geocities.com/hfpmad

Moderator Cup Webpage
www.geocities.com/moderatorcup

Old 01-15-2003, 09:03 AM

I checked the sensitivity jumper and it
was set on STANDARD. The camera was set
at 3 locations over nine days. The locations
that were in the more open areas facing east
got the ghost pictures. I'll check the next
roll and make a determination from that whether
to send it back. I Appreciate the input
Old 01-15-2003, 10:12 AM

I just got the DC 100. I have only had 1 roll developed but it was all deer (& 1 of me). I am going to pick up my second roll today. Let you know how it turns out.
Old 01-15-2003, 10:35 AM

i just got mine and i put it up for the first time 2 days ago. i guess i had better go check it out. there is suppose to be a snow storm come threw tonight.

Old 01-15-2003, 05:21 PM

Try aligning the eye/sensor up with a tree that is at the maximum flash range of the camera.This eliminates two problems.1-You will eliminate the "ghost eyes"type picture you get because the critter is standing 95'from the camera and your flash is only good out to 60'.2-It will most likely eliminate your empty pictures due to foilage movement(even though they tell you that won't happen it does).After taking hundres of pictures with my VIGIL trail timer i only ever had 5/10 empty pictures on it.Unfortunitly some S.O.B decided that he would like a unit of his own so he ripped off mine!!!
Old 01-16-2003, 04:21 AM

I moved the camera to an area where i could
face it to the north. I checked it yesterday
and it hadnt taken any pictures. I walked in front
of the unit and it took a picture. Seems to be functioning
properly now. Here in florida the temp. fluctuates so quickly
sometimes, I guess facing the sun in the morning along
with the fluctuating temp./light fog mist must have set
it off before. Hopefully.
Old 01-16-2003, 04:28 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Try aligning the eye/sensor up with a tree that is at the maximum flash range of the camera.This eliminates two problems.1-You will eliminate the &quot;ghost eyes&quot;type picture you get because the critter is standing 95'from the camera and your flash is only good out to 60'.2-It will most likely eliminate your empty pictures due to foilage movement(even though they tell you that won't happen it does).After taking hundres of pictures with my VIGIL trail timer i only ever had 5/10 empty pictures on it.Unfortunitly some S.O.B decided that he would like a unit of his own so he ripped off mine!!!
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>The unit was set facing easterly direction overlooking a clear
cut with no vegetation within 50 yards in front of the camera. All 19 ghost (empty) pictures were taken between 9 and 10:15 in the morning all on the same morning. Had it out 3 days in this location.

Quick Reply: game camera problem

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.