Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Every shot huh?

Old 10-12-2007, 06:59 PM

Default RE: Every shot huh?

I have a german shorthair (champ horse back field trial bred) fast as heck and awsome nose, stamina too. I dont think it would even come close to catching a deer. I hate to think that some redneck(like many on this board) would kill my best friend because "durrr it was guna kill a deeer"
Old 10-12-2007, 07:03 PM

obviously you don't own or manage any land, or been put in a situation where wild dogs constantly harrass and kill deer and turkeys. I wouldn't kill my neighbors collared dog, but wild dogs that are a constant nuisance are another situation. But skipper just for you, i would advise keeping your dog in the yard during hunting season.many people wouldn't think twice about killing a dog running deer.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:11 PM

yes I do own land and I can recall as a kid when we had a real pack of wild dogs killing alot of things including livestock. My dad gave them the .223 and thats fine by me. but killing any dog in the woods is just the dumbest thing I have ever heard of

like someone mentioned a few posts back it is more than just deer season in MI. I shouldnt have to even think of some retard killing my dog as he is looking for birds..I guess there are more retards out there then I thought.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:16 PM

ORIGINAL: gamespooker

Every body has the right to the same woods.
this statement couldn't be more false
Please enlighten me then. Are you saying that you have more of a right to public land because you are hunting deer and I am hunting squirrel(or any other game)? Are you saying that you have the right to kill a dog just because it wanders on to your property?

If so, you are wrong on both counts. There have been many court cases where people paid out vast sums of money for shooting a dog that was only treeing, and not harassing any livestock...even on their own property. Dogs can't read a "no tresspassing sign", so many states have enacted a right to retrieve law which says that I have the right to gfet my dog and leave the woods immediatly should they stray on to private property.

The only time that one of my dogs ever chased a deer(chased, not ran...big difference) is when she kicked it up while hunting coon. That was my fastest dog, and she never stood a chance of catching that doe. It was halfway across the county before she even knew what was going on. Even if she did catch it, that doe could take care of itself.

You automatically assume that it was the dog that injured the deer. Yet that was never said. In fact, the original poster did not know what happened to the deer yet. Maybe it got caught in a trap, maybe somebody was a lowsy shot and just wounded it.

You say that many hunters(I'm guessing that you include yourself due to your previous statements) wouldn't think twice about shooting at a dog. Believe me when I tell you that most dog owners wouldn't think twice about shooting back.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:16 PM

I think you have a pack of wild dogs or coyotes. I don't believe any pet dog would do any more than chase a deer. The bite marks around the nose suggest wild dogs/yotes.
I'd shoot a coyote or a wild dog, but not a collared dog.
Anyway, it was a good thing you did. Bravo!
Old 10-12-2007, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

any chance they could of been some yotes trying to get the fawn? Just seems that maybe if theywere trying to bite at her face, seems kind of what they might do?
Old 10-12-2007, 07:23 PM

I wouldn't kill my neighbors collared dog
I'm talking about private land. and if you notice the quote from my very own sentence i said that i would not shoot a collared dog. seems like your just lookin for an argument. wild dogs are a whole other issue as i said before. I've had problems(with wild dogs) before and dealt with them accordingly. dogs running rampant can ruin hunting land with a quickness. let's not make a big fuss about this topic.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:34 PM

sounds like you might be due for some dog huntin
I'm not just looking for an arguement. I'm just tired of deer hunters thinking that they own the woods. I'm tired of hearing people say that dogs run the deer out of the country. And mostly, I'm tired of hearing uninfromed people talking about killing dogs for running through the woods.

And like I already explained. My dog can't read a sign and you don't own any deer. So the dogs would not be harassing livestock, and can not be legally killed.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Typical Buck

Deepdiver are you for real, If you couldn't control your dog I would plug you and then your dog, nothing worse than someone with the attitude, well my dog can't read so you can't whack em.If hes on my land I can do whatever I want, that is the privilige of owning land.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:57 PM
Typical Buck

The only time that one of my dogs ever chased a deer(chased, not ran...big difference) is when she kicked it up while hunting coon. That was my fastest dog, and she never stood a chance of catching that doe. It was halfway across the county before she even knew what was going on.
That is what shock collars are for, to keep your dog off of the trash. Any coon dog that runs anything but a coon, is a trashy dog and should be broke of it with a shock collar. You can't win any hunts with a trashy dog. If you are any kind of coon hunter at all, you would know the difference of when your dog is on a coon or on trash. So, in my opinion, a good coon dog and a good owner combined would never run a deer to begin with.

Quick Reply: Every shot huh?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.