Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Let's talk about scent sprays.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Let's talk about scent sprays.

Just an idea..if your current method seems to be not working.

And bear in mind, I was bashing (not really bashing butmore of a non-believer)this stuff last year..but many people said it's good..so being open minded I said I can't bash it if I didn't try it....and then I had to recant..because deer dander works.

I had one instance impaticular last year, from the ground where a doe was literally pet-able and she never spooked. She saw my outline and did the head bob and everything..and the resumed feeding.

I'm not using any scents at the moment...but if I was getting winded i'd use it again.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Quick

Sounds like the issue may be your boots Buy a 10$ container from walmat, cleaned those stinking things up and see what happens.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll try that, Gary. Nothing to lose by trying. I'm sick of having deer after deer wind me. I bet 10 times so far this year. Granted, it's been hot, but that still shouldn't be happening.

Gr8 - I've heard about the deer dander. Never knew anyone who used it. Please elaborate on how you use it.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not claiming to be the resident expert on the stuff.. But you can just spray it on like a scent killer. It stinks, you will smell like a deer..urine, dander, and all. It will stink up your truck and your clothes.

It sprays in a very very fine mist. I just use (used) it sparingly on my jacket and pants and cap. It was something to try once time changed and time was precious (after work ..quickie hunts)
Old 10-12-2007, 12:26 PM
Dominant Buck

I always tuck my pantlegs down inside the boots. I guess that's probably one mistake that I may be making.
If this is a problem....I need to re-think my regimen, too. I think the benefit gained by my pants not touching the grass/weeds/etc... on the way to my stand FAR outweighs any scent that might leak from the top of my boots, though (and we're really talking on the way to stand, aren't we.....as far as this making a difference?).

I see more deer than most....and I'm learning more and more how hard it is to fool SOME of their noses. I know I wasn't winded, this morning. But I also know the first doe that came in caught my scent on my approach route to my stand. I could tell by her body language. She was definitely on alert. I had on a pair of brand new mucks, though. I sprayed them down with e3....but they probably still have a new boot smell (and my LaCrosse's are size 11.....the ones I replaced with the mucks).

The deer I hunt probably tolerate a little more (or maybe a LOT more) human scent than yours......but I'm going to limit my boots to about 2 seasons. I can use them on my construction projects after that.

Good luck.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

With the exception of swirling winds I rarely get busted.As much as I hate the scent lok head net I wear it.I tuck it behind my ears (Nice Visual),so it doesn't get in the way on my anchor.If air currents hit exposed skin that has perspired there isn't anyone who isn't going to get picked off.
My guess Fran is that it is either the holes in the boots or the darn heat has you perspiring going in to your stands.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:32 PM
Dominant Buck

OH....forgot....

Quik....have you ever tried or seen the head/facemask from Under Armour? It's not a scent-lok facemask....but if you can imagine....it fits your head/face like the shirts fit your body. I probably went through 6 different models before I found this one. I hand wash it in sportwash about every third hunt....unless I sweat a lot. I can do it in the sink in about a minute....and it air dries outside. Becuse it's form-fitting....it bothers me MUCH less than any I'd ever tried, before.

Just my .02
Old 10-12-2007, 12:48 PM
Dominant Buck

I'd never put my boots in with my clothes. I leave them out on a porch too so they can air out. Spray them inside and out etc etc.

One thing I haven't seen anyone suggest... your stand. If you're carrying in a climber or something like that, it collects odors from the back of trucks etc. Scrub it down and spray the heck out of it. If you're using climbing sticks etc, spray them down. If you ate a doughnut or bacon/egg bisquit or something like that well the stink is on your hands. The minute you grab that climbing stick or step you stink it up. Coffee on the hands does it too. If you have stuff like moleskin etc on your climber for sound control it catchs stink off you. I like White Lightning spray. Alas, I used the last I bought from Len except for a 1/2 inch and I can't find it around here. Bummer.

Swirling winds will really play with your set ups. I continually sit there and drop windfloaters. It's almost impossible lately to have a steady wind. It's tough. Perhaps too you're setting up too close to the trails if you have all these deer coming in at 3 and 5 yards. You're too dang close Grasshopper. Back off a reasonable distance from that trail or oak tree or whatever you're hunting over.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I always tuck my pantlegs down inside the boots. I guess that's probably one mistake that I may be making.
If this is a problem....I need to re-think my regimen, too. I think the benefit gained by my pants not touching the grass/weeds/etc... on the way to my stand FAR outweighs any scent that might leak from the top of my boots, though (and we're really talking on the way to stand, aren't we.....as far as this making a difference?).

I see more deer than most....and I'm learning more and more how hard it is to fool SOME of their noses. I know I wasn't winded, this morning. But I also know the first doe that came in caught my scent on my approach route to my stand. I could tell by her body language. She was definitely on alert. I had on a pair of brand new mucks, though. I sprayed them down with e3....but they probably still have a new boot smell (and my LaCrosse's are size 11.....the ones I replaced with the mucks).

The deer I hunt probably tolerate a little more (or maybe a LOT more) human scent than yours......but I'm going to limit my boots to about 2 seasons. I can use them on my construction projects after that.

Good luck.
John Eberhart is in the top 3 as hunters in MI, he wrote "Hunting high pressured whitetails" and "Precsion Bowhunting" two of the best books i have read. He is untuck boot wearer. The oders can escape if pants are tucked in.

He has killed more big deer than I ever will, and he has done it on State land here in MI.

http://www.deer-john.net/

Jeff if your cloths are washed in scent free soap what is it going to leave for scent?

I was a tucker until I read Johns books
Old 10-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Dominant Buck

I guess I've just always looked at it like......if I were to come into contact with something....would I rather it bewith fabric or rubber? I dunno.....It's just the way I learned, I guess. It can always be turned around. If your feet and socks and boots are clean.....why NOT tuck 'em in?

In the overall scheme of things....I'd say this has probably cost me .000421 deer.

Quick Reply: Let's talk about scent sprays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.