Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

PA antler restrictions need changed!!

Old 10-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: PA antler restrictions need changed!!

I agree Pops but with all the "wrongs" with AR there are too many "rights"...just think tho, perhaps next year he'll spout a kicker and really be something....legal, bigger and more impressive and if you get an opportunity you might go, I'm glad I didn't shoot him last year.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

I am in Beaver county and we have the 4 pt on one side rule here. I hope they never change this. I have seen so many more bucks with age and nice racks over the last couple of years. I think the restrictions are really working. I have only once seen a really large buck with an illegal rack (monster 4 pt haha). Bottom line where we have the 4pt rule we have deer with pretty good genes and I don't think anything needs changed. I also have a camp in Forest county. It is a 3 pt to a side there. 5 years ago I was lucky to see a fork horn there. though I would see 40 doe and maybe a spike or two in one sit. Now I hear people complaining that "they are killing to many doe there and we are not seeing any deer anymore..20 years ago you would see herds of 60 or 70 deer and this restriction is not working because everyone is killing the does and now we have no bucks" Some people just don't realize that seeing 45 doe and only one spike is bad. Yes seeing that many deer in one sit is awesome, but that ratio is very bad. Now you actually have to hunt now a little harder in the big woods up there. I think that is great because now I am seeing nice bucks up there as well. Last year on the 1st day of rifle instead of seeing a ton of does I saw 3 does and 3 bucks. 2 were legal one being a nice 8 pt that would have been in the 120's and a really nice 10 pt that would easy been in the 130's. The other was a spike. I could not get a shot at any of the 2 legal bucks, but I did take a doe. Even though I only seen 6 deer all day I was happy with the ratio of the deer.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wish mn would adopt antler restrictions. You guys in pa are lucky. where i hunt there are a good 10 (atleast) does to every buck. nobody around my land shoots does. bucks hardly ever get beyone their first year. it's not naturual. the antler restrictions help, they are by no means perfect. but they help balance things out.

I do think that kids under 18 or 16 should be allowed to shoot whatever buck they want. we need the kids to get involved.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:26 PM

well i gota agree,we arepassing on small legal bucks that are young, by our choice(but probably wont make it through rifle season), and can't shoot that 3 1/2 yr old spike that we've seen numerous times chasing does the last two seasons and he's not the only one with bad genes we can't shoot that is older than 2 1/2. we have great food sources, and also dont hunt tues or thurs to keep hunting pressure to a minimum, thickcover and water.as far as " we are not hunting for the rack" quote, that is exactly what the PGC has forced us to do. i would have no problem slamming these old bucks with an arrow, but i'm in a delima, we Are forced to hunt for horns. the pgc should take an approach to educate hunters on aging deer, sway backs ,sagging belly ,thick muzzles, grey faces.etc. granted some deer are hard to age in the feild. these are just my thoughts, and or mindless ramblings from a hunter in 5B, with a 3pt minimum.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:33 PM

In georgia there are a few select counties that have been under the antler res. I happen to hunt in one. I think it is great, however I see your point with the big sixes and others. For the last few years we have been under the 4 points on one side law, but this year the rule has extended statewide that at least one of your two buck limit has to have 4 points one side. They should put an exception in the law that would maybe go like this... Bucks that are harvested with less than 4 points on one side must be aged to determine that they are 3-1/2 yrs. or older to avoid citation.
The restrictions work, I have seenresults. They just need to be inforced in Ga.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

the main problem i have with AR's is that the BEST 1.5 year olds are generally legal.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Spikes are caused by late birthing, not heredity, for the most part.

Old 10-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pops423

You mean a buck like this....

yeah, this is what is wrong with antler restrictions. I am all for letting the little bucks grow into big ones, but there is no reason I shouldn't be able to shoot this buck. I believe he is a 3 1/2 year old deer that has bad genetics.
Such a spindly rack, I'd say 2.5 year old buck. Take a child hunting, that buck would make an awesome first kill for a youth hunter. Otherwise, that buck may go non-typical in coming years and grow a few kickers. Not a reason in my book to scrap a good idea that works overall. Where was that pic taken, just out of curiosity? Looks more like a young Texas fence buck.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

I'd say its all about due time. The deer will eventually mature enough to be able to shoot. Luckily, in my side of P.A., the antler restriction is 3 on one side. I'd be glad to help ya out with the problem if you wanna push them my way
Old 10-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's not a perfect system, but it's definitely doing more good than bad. Perhaps in a few years they will change it to 4 points to a side or a minimum 18" outside spread. I'll still take it over hoping to see a spiker or forkie once a year.

Quick Reply: PA antler restrictions need changed!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.