Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

to big for a safty harness what should i do

Old 10-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: to big for a safty harness what should i do

i thought about a line mans harness when was in school i had to do a corse that had cables that your slide down on like a zip line and i used aharness that was made for a fire fighter and had the size i need i am ok in the stand with out it but if i can find one not to costly i will use one
Old 10-11-2007, 05:27 PM

I used to rappel a few years ago. At the time, I was about 275(heavier now but on my way back down), and I always made a swiss seat. I never once worried about it giving way.

Here is a link to a site showing how to tie one.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita.../ch6.htm#par13

Or you can try an industrial safety harness like this:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4GE87

It is rated to 400lbs.

My advice would be to make the tree strap shirt enough so that if you do fall, you will not fall more than a foot or two.

Good luck on your future weight loss. Thanks for reminding me to hit the stairmaster tomorrow.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome work on losing 75lbs!
A 2 man ladder should be fine for your weight, if you sit centered, don't go sitting on one side with little weight on the other. That being said you should still wear a harness. At your size a strap beneath your armpits may be more dangerous than nothing at all, you may need to look into something like this :

http://www.probuy.net/products/HUVHARNESS.html

Good luck!
Old 10-11-2007, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

tuck and roll, try to land on your side....
Old 10-11-2007, 07:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Tuck and roll.... Airborne![8D] Someone hit on a very critical point. You have to have the strengthandbeable to get yourself back in the stand or at least to the ladder if you fall. A belt is a disaster waiting to happen. One saved me once but I ended up half upside down with it when I was about 20 years and 30 or 40 pounds lighter. A swiss seat would keep you alright but not necessarily upright if you loose control of the holding rope.Maybe get a swiss seat and one of those climbing system ropes from Summitt to clip to. You'd be attached all the way from the ground up and back down again.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:29 PM
Typical Buck

I've thought seriously about the chances of falling in my two man ladder stand. I wear a harness when I bow hunt, because I have to stand to shoot and that's when I'd be most vunerable to fall. When I'm using the shotgun I won't wear one sometimes for comfort. Falling and hanging from one doesn't seem as though it'd be as much a danger as a climber. With a ladder stand you can at least kick around and try to grab the ladder itself because it will always be within reach.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

I have a climber rated for 400 lbs that I got from 'Big Man Treestands'. I don't know if they are still in business but if they are they can fix you up. Also, the Summit Goliath is 350 lbs rating and a little borderline for you, but it came with a Seat-O-the-Pants with the same rating which I still use.

I am pushing 300 lbs myself so I know you got to find something that suites you. Hang in there, you will find it. I don't eat heavy either for the most part. My heavy weight is largely cause by thyroid issues. Good Hunting!
Old 10-12-2007, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

At least if ya fall someone will hear it.

No seriously great work on the slimming down. I would bet most safety harness's have a minimum of a 2X safety factor built in to the rating.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

this may not be what you want but these are what I used when I was climbing towers.

http://www.tasco-safety.com/fall-protection/eagle-harnesses.html
Old 10-12-2007, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Beezer

I've thought seriously about the chances of falling in my two man ladder stand. I wear a harness when I bow hunt, because I have to stand to shoot and that's when I'd be most vunerable to fall. When I'm using the shotgun I won't wear one sometimes for comfort. Falling and hanging from one doesn't seem as though it'd be as much a danger as a climber. With a ladder stand you can at least kick around and try to grab the ladder itself because it will always be within reach.

Beezer,
Please don't try and rely on trying to catch yourself when falling. First of all you usually have something in your hands (bow, gun, whatever) Second, We sometimes hunt in weather that makes anything you grab onto very slippery. Third, youmay miss, or not be strong enough to stop yourelf from falling.

It really happens so fast that most times it is way too late to do anything about it.

Quick Reply: to big for a safty harness what should i do

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.