Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, I have killed a mature buck
23.76%
I have had mature bucks respond but didn't kill them
16.83%
I have had a deer respond (not a mature buck)
26.73%
Tried it quite a bit but no luck
32.67%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

How many of you have killed a mature buck you rattled in?

Old 10-12-2007, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many of you have killed a mature buck you rattled in?

Only once has a buck responded to my rattling bag. It was in Adams County Illinois on October 29th last year on a windy day about 4 pm. Only big buck I've ever killed with my bow. He was over 250 lbs 9 point. Not real wide but very tall and he was a cow. That rattling stuff has never worked for me in Michigan though.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rick James

And for the record, I classify a mature buck as any 3.5 year old buck or better. I don't care if they had 100" of antler or 200"......
All of them responded.I remember one. Looked right at me from 300 yrds away and waved good bye. HeHeHe. I'd say most guys have but fall a sleep before they see them.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have only had one buck respond to a rattle, I was getting in my bag for my binoc's and hit my rattle bag, he whipped his head around and the more I tickeled the bag the more he came my way, he was a basket 7 point. If I had not hit the bag I would have never got the shot. This is the only time the bag has worked for me. I try to use it, but mostly when I do not see anything.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lat year between late October and third week of November usually just Sat. and Sun I rattled in 5 diferent mature bucks and many smaller younger bucks. No shots though but I did rattle this 9pt in for my Dad inthat time period.

P.S. Real antlers and not rattle bags. I love the sound of the real thing..

Old 10-12-2007, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

I rattled and shot my deer last year on nov 6. He was about 100 yrds south of me and heading away. I rattled and grunted and he came in on a string. After he was down another buck came in and fought his corpse. I grunted and rattled again because I was afraid this buck was going to bust my deers rack. He came in aswell but I opted not to take him. I have his sheds and he will be a target for this year.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

October 13, Iowa, 2006. A little light sparring on this guy's core area brought him right in at sunrise.

I have noticedthe direct link between buck/doe ratio and how well rattling works in a BIG way. The ratio is aproaching 1:1 locally and ratling has worked better than I have ever seen in the past 2 years. I have rattled in only 2 3.5 year olds though...more 2.5 year olds and yearlings....by working 'well' I mean that I get responses only about 1 in 4 setups though...

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q291/JoeRE/100_0040.jpg
Old 10-12-2007, 08:05 AM
Typical Buck

Qiut usining you fingers to rattle with and get a rattle bag. Any deer hearing those massive fingers banging together would think it is a 200in bruiser.

Dink is Love
ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

Im in the no luck catagory, buck to doe ratio is a little high ended in my area with the does being the higher population. not much reason for fighting when there is plenty to go around.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Around home where the deer are more pressured I have never had any luck calling or rattling for mature bucks. In Southeastern Ohio where there is less pressure I have called and rattled in 2 mature 3.5-4.5 bucks but neither ever gave me a shot. My dad killed 2 (1-3.5 1-4.5) from rattling and 2 (1-3.5 1-4.5) from a grunt tube. I don't know how many he rattled in that he couldn't shoot, but over the years I would guess 5 or 6. All of these bucks were called or rattled in durig the search and chase phases of the rut on bucks that were cruising along alone.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:15 AM
Fork Horn

I've done it twice (Nov. 9th, 2005 and Nov. 6th 2006) rattled in a 4.5 year old 9 point at 1:00 PM. then in 2006 rattled in a 2.5 0r 3.5 year old 8 point 8:30 AM Both came running within 20 yards of tree stand. Also have rattled in many younger bucks from Oct. 30th till Nov. 20th
All was located in Central Ohio.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:32 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Walleyefever

I've done it twice (Nov. 9th, 2005 and Nov. 6th 2006) rattled in a 4.5 year old 9 point at 1:00 PM.
Thats awesome! My deer,also a 9, I rattled in and shot at 1 pm aswell. Same day. I believe him to bo 4.5 to 5.5

Quick Reply: How many of you have killed a mature buck you rattled in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.