Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, I have killed a mature buck
23.76%
I have had mature bucks respond but didn't kill them
16.83%
I have had a deer respond (not a mature buck)
26.73%
Tried it quite a bit but no luck
32.67%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

How many of you have killed a mature buck you rattled in?

Old 10-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How many of you have killed a mature buck you rattled in?

I don't know if mine was 2 1/2 or 3 1/3, didn't check his ID. None the less he came in fast and was mad and looking for a fight. It was about the 2nd or 3rd week of October 3 years ago in early afternoon.
I didn't walk verry far into the woods, maybe 150 yards in, sat on the ground with an umbrella for cover. I had a real bad cold, started coughing, to cover up my sound, I beat the ground with my antlers. About 15 seconds later I see him pop over a ridge 200 yards away making a B line right for me. He stopped at about 20 yards out, kind of 1/4 spun like a brama bull looking for someone to fight. I put the antlers down, he turned away from me, I stood up on my knees and drew. He turned once more to the left, I squeezed off the shot and looked like a perfect hit. He ran, I waited 1/2 hour. Not long enough I guess, jumped him and saw him lay down on the nieghbors property.
Went to go get permission, farmer said no, his dogs were loose, didn't want me to get bit. Come back in the morning.... I left, went back to the point where the buck crossed the fence and I watched from 70 yards away, the farmer go get my buck, gut it, and drag it to his truck, and drove off.
I ran back to my truck, drove back to the farm and he flat out lied to me, said he hadn't gone up too look yet. I could see blood in his trck bed, no deer.
I left, drove about 1/2 mile, pulled over and dug out my regulation book, called the DNR. I met the warden wher I hunt, took him to the blood trail all the way to the fence. It was now getting to be about 10 pm maybe 11. I stayed at the fence line, the warden called for back up to make sure the farmer wouldn't shoot at him, tracked my buck to the gut pile and followed the truck tracks to a shed. Opened the shed and found my buck. Correct that, the DNR's buck. Farmer didn't tag the buck, had it half skinned, they loaded it just the way it was, as evidence. At times I could here the farmer yelling at the wardens from oabout 1 mile away. lol
The warden when done with the farmer drove back up by me and showed me my first and only 10 pointer. I got to look at it for about 10 minutes before they took it away. I asked the warden what the farmer told him, why wouldn't he let me retrieve my buck?
The warden looked at his notebook and read to me, " no long haired hippy freak deserves a deer like that....." basically going on to say he fed 'em it's his deer. He fed 'em alright, paper said 5 counts of illegally baiting deer, 1 count improperly tagging a deer. Wardens would have never been called if he just let me take the deer out the same way it went in. 70 yards. I would have even field dressed it off his property, no problem. Could have easily snuck it out. Warden found one bait pile in sight of where the buck went down, I couldn't see it from the fence line. Apparently went back the next day and found 4 more baited stands.
Made me feel a little better but didn't get the kids fed. Excuse me if I can't tell you how old or how big, I just know he was my biggest ever, bow or gun. Probably would have been pretty chewy anyways. lol I've been rattling a little from the stands but it's just not the same. Raking your release against quivered carbon arrows can get a bucks attention too but never a response like that one on the ground. Just be ready when you do, they'll come out of nowhere in a hurry.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:19 PM

I rattled in this guy on Oct 21st of 2005. He even swam across the Miami River to get to me. Miami Co. Ohio.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

The last week of October, Halloween is an excelent time to rattle in the northeast.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont rattle much now but did when I started bowhunting 12 years ago. My first year I rattled in the same1.5yr buck,on two separate evenings, in the middle of october. the first night missed him 3 times. the second night i shot him a little high and never found him.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:29 PM

I have rattled in and harvested one buck that I know of for sure from rattling alone. I rattled and he started grunting and coming in within two minuets of call. was bobbing his head and grunting the entire time. When he got close he stopped and was grunting and looking all around trying to find rattle. I have also had maybe half a dozen respond for sure from it, but never connected. But I have also done it alot with no luck or not sure if it was rattle or just good timing and would have seen deer anyways. Mostly had my luck before rut. I try not to do it to much since I think it is something you can wear a hole in real quick.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Fork Horn

never seems to be me just making noise in the woods
Old 10-11-2007, 10:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Honestly....In my first season...I took a rattle bag to the woods with me a few times. One day....I saw 5 bucks, after rattling....but I'm fairly certain (based on the timing) that I didn't call them in.

With my buck/doe ratio....I'm guessing I WOULD have them react....but it woudn't be very favorable. I haven't used one in '06 or '07.....and I likely won't ever take one into my woods until (and "if") my ratio improves.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow, i'm REALLY surprised 30% of the people responding have killed a mature buck that they rattled in. i've never even rattled in a mature buck.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Im in the no luck catagory, buck to doe ratio is a little high ended in my area with the does being the higher population. not much reason for fighting when there is plenty to go around.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oct 27 2005. I cant remember what time but it was around 30 minutes before dark. This guy came running in after a 2 minute rattle session, thats the first time I ever heard a buck growl....we pulled the jaw and aged him at if I remember right 5 1/2 years old.
Can someone make the pic bigger please...

Quick Reply: How many of you have killed a mature buck you rattled in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.