Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

regional differences in hunter attitudes

Old 10-11-2007, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: regional differences in hunter attitudes

ORIGINAL: Germ

MI is a great state, it's the only state where the wives have tagged more deer than their husbands

Only state where someone needs a truck load beets to shoot sparkie the wonder buck.

We have the only group who use 20 gauge slug BH, and then stick an arrow through it.

A fawn is upgraded to a yearly after it is shot.

If you shoot a big buck, you broke the law.

If you do it more than once, you're a felon.

Only state where if you shoot a big buck, your stand is now the new hot spot.

Terms like legal, shooting light, knowing what you shoot, where you shoot are for rookies

Man I love MI
Move on over here to NE Ohio.... We will corner the big buck market
Old 10-11-2007, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

New York is terrible, the land i hunt borders a few hundread acres of county land and no matter how many bucks i let go during season they are dead meat by December, could it be because of the 3 Pa guys that have been comming upandhunting there for 20 years?? they must be jelous b/c we have deer
Old 10-11-2007, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: burbaust99

I think it also depends on the type of land you hunt. In WI if you hunt only public, you shoot most anything that comes by. On the flip side, the people who own private land are getting into QDM in myparts.
I agree...Rybos about 10-15 years behind...10 years ago when I started planting foodplots and making mineral licks on some land I lease here in central NC, most guys just shot whatever they saw...Few were managing the herd...Now it seems everyone is planting food plots so the deer have more to eat year round...Down east where we own the land and farm it, we started taking a lot of does and letting smaller bucks walk as well as planting food plots...It has paid off...Same as here in central NC...We still have guys that don't own land and will kill anything, but the guys that own land and look more long term are killing some nice deer.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Texas-Everything is bigger in texas…..including the fences.
Ouch... true we do have fences in some parts of thestatebut I think we just take the fall for high fences because I know other states have fences too.If people wouldstoppaying thousandsand thousands of dollars for huge bucks I wouldnt think it would be such an issue. Personally, I am not a big fan of high fence. Always knowing whats on you property and not having the feeling of never knowing of what might come out next... I like that feeling to much.Texas was one of the first states to put managment practices in place and we hope and praythat our neighbors dont shoot the young ones but you just never know.I think Texas bucks are getting bigger because more and more are being able to live longer by leases having rules and rules enforced by the state. We do food plots and supplement but age is #1 and I think more and more people are understanding that.

We arenot known for bowhunting but it is a growing practice and more and more people are picking it up. InTexas welove hunting as much as we love the Cowboys.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's all about what hunters are used to and how they have been brought up in the "traditions" of those who have introduced them.
I believe that a lot of the stereotypes regionally ring true or at least to a considerable degree.
As always Fran you are to funny! I think all of us just wished that the people involved in hunting pursued it with class and dignity.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:05 PM
Typical Buck

that was an accurate and funny assesment of the different regions, here in Maine it depends on what part of the state you live n. In the northern section where the economy is poor they care more about the meat. Last year i was at my friends camp and one of the camps down the road had a 280lb dressed 13 pointer, by far the biggest dear I have ever seen, I was telling a local about it, the first thing he said was,"That ain't gonna eat good." What I saw as an amazing trophy he saw as a bad eating animal.