Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

regional differences in hunter attitudes

Old 10-11-2007, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: regional differences in hunter attitudes

Well this should be good. Here in Iowa we do have lots of good deer but when it comes to shotgun season most groups are just out there to fill there tags. We do have one group in our area that just shoots bucks, what I mean by bucks is if they have a toothpick of a antler on it's head they are gonna shoot it which really pisses me off.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

If people would start referring to 1.5 year old bucks as "babies", that would help. The average hunter cares more about what his buddies think of the deer he shoots than what he thinks himself. If "brown and down" is the prevailing mindset, then the average guy is ok with doing it, even if he really doesn't want a baby buck. What is worse in the average hunter's mind? Having an unfilled tag at season's end or shooting a dink? Most would want that dink. Most dink shooters are underachieving Democrats, and are intending to vote for Hillary.

Hillary's new slogan..."Everything's free, but you'll work for me"

(a little sarcasm of my own, Ryan.)
Old 10-11-2007, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good post Rybo,

I wouldn't mind hearing local traditions on killing first deer. Here we usually dump blood and maybe
guts on you. [8D] I've heard some places make you eat some raw meat. [:'(]

Weapon selection varies a lot by region. In many parts of Louisiana bowhunters are still a
rarity, i. e. why would you sit in the heat and mosquitoes and miss watching football and drinking beer.
Up until 10-15 years ago everybody I knew hunted with shotguns (think swampy, thick stuff),
but now most people have switched to rifle / muzzleloader.

Age of your hunters can make a big difference. You aren't usually going to convince old timers
of anything. Younger guys tend to be the ones bowhunting and subscribing to some of the QDM stuff.

Deer camps are just cool places. I wish I could visit a bunch of them for a weekend and do a book
(with a lot of pictures). I think it would sell (think rundown shacks, upscale lodges, local traditions,
colorful people, good stories).
Old 10-11-2007, 07:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Rybo, I think you nailed it.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:04 AM

Quicksilver, that is hysterical! I am from SE PA and I can tell you about 9 out of 10 hunters are that way here. It embarassing sometimes to be grouped into that class when you say your a PA hunter. Especially when your family prides itself on hunting ethically. Sometimes I just tell myself they all aren't that way, there are other "Real" hunters in PA. Pisses me off though when I hear 30/30 and 7mm's going off at 1AM. Hopefully the real PA hunterscan turnPA's reputation around!
Old 10-11-2007, 08:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: PABuckbuster12

Quicksilver, that is hysterical! I am from SE PA and I can tell you about 9 out of 10 hunters are that way here. It embarassing sometimes to be grouped into that class when you say your a PA hunter. Especially when your family prides itself on hunting ethically. Sometimes I just tell myself they all aren't that way, there are other "Real" hunters in PA. Pisses me off though when I hear 30/30 and 7mm's going off at 1AM. Hopefully the real PA hunterscan turnPA's reputation around!
Amen, I feel the same way.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have to agree I laughed at all of those as well...mostly because they are just plain funny but also because it does apply to alot of folks I know of...

The sad news is that that the bad "10%" get most of the press/comments while the rest of the hunting fraternity in PA tend to follow the regs.

On a related note, I had thought of starting my own "Stupid 'sportsman'" collection of stories. I already have four or five idiotic occurences so far this year. [:@]
Old 10-11-2007, 08:41 AM

The mentallity for WV is true for the most part, it seems to just be in spots across the state. Then the other parts seems to have alot of the PA mindset.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are a lot of browner downers in the NE part of the state here. Plus we get large numbers of PA out of staters on the eastern half of the state. They shoot there young buck at home and come here and do the same.

You get that last email rybo?
Old 10-11-2007, 09:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

MI is a great state, it's the only state where the wives have tagged more deer than their husbands

Only state where someone needs a truck load beets to shoot sparkie the wonder buck.

We have the only group who use 20 gauge slug BH, and then stick an arrow through it.

A fawn is upgraded to a yearly after it is shot.

If you shoot a big buck, you broke the law.

If you do it more than once, you're a felon.

Only state where if you shoot a big buck, your stand is now the new hot spot.

Terms like legal, shooting light, knowing what you shoot, where you shoot are for rookies

Man I love MI

Quick Reply: regional differences in hunter attitudes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.