Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Man.... I'm snake bit.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Man.... I'm snake bit.

YUP, it's a different world. If you know Camden you know how close I am.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:43 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Oh yes, the place has some pressure. There's a group up the road that don't seem to worry about what season it is. If they see a deer and have a gun.... well gun season is open. I had a tree picked out a few hundred yards from the house. The other night I figured the deer were down in the fields. So in a light drizzle I set off at 9 PM to put my climber on the tree in the dark so I could hunt it in the Am. I got about 200yards from the spot(not carrying a light or anything) and I see this little red light coming towards me. I kept heading at it. When I got within 25 yards or so he got startled by my white shorts(it was hot) and turned the light white. This guy lives about 30 miles from here. He had parked up the road from my house about 1/4 mile at the house of one of the "GANG". He just wandered into the woods(he doesn't know exactly where he had been and not exactly sure how to get back where he started". Yup there's pressure. The night before I was at my friend Donnies. A rapping came at the door after a big downpour. There stands 2 bowhunters trying to find their way back to their car. A friend had told them where to park. They lived 45 miles from here. They had parked at a parking area on a major road in the area and crossed it to hunt as advised by a friend. They crossed at least4 pieces of private property to get to where they came out. There was some state land but they crossed 3 private farms and lands before they would get to it. They can't be much of bowhunters though. They had no stands and were 4 miles as the crow flies from their car. We gave them a ride back. Pressure???? A ton. If it isn't posted in NY you can hunt it.
It would seem that this is the case in Blossvale, Tis why i don't even hunt northern tier anymore, way too many hooligans and illegal hunting. I'm heading Farm hunters' way come saturday!!! There are a few places that are untouched in town, give me a shout and i'll drop you some names, one place held a really nice 150" 8 point a few years back, talk about mass!!!!

Even in the last 3-4 years the number of doe/buck sightings in fields seems like it has dropped a ton, from seeing 30-40 deer in a night in summer to barely seeing 5 or 6 around the hamlet...I dont know if its the yotes or people doing the damage....
Old 10-11-2007, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it isn't posted in NY you can hunt it.
Actually not true - unless the land unimproved and abanded.
Took awhile to convince a few locals of that here, but most understand now.
Posting does make it easier to get the local JP's to not let their buddies walk when charged - eliminates the "I'm stupid excuse".

Steve
Old 10-11-2007, 05:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome to the October Lull period. Some dont believe in this theory, but Im a strong believer that it exists and usually occours the second week in October inthe northern statesand runs anywhere between 4-7 days. Its basically a resting period before the pre-rut. I have studdied this since I started bow hunting back in 1995 and my calculations have been on the money each year. Most deer are moving only at nite and real early in the morning during the lull, making scrapes and rubs. Give it another 3-4 days and things are going to change for the better. Good luck and be patient.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:25 AM
Dominant Buck

YUP, except the muzzleloaders start going off Saturday. Maybe all the rain will keep them home. It's raining all day today and calls for rain for the opener and possibly thru Tues.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hang in there david I am sure you will figure them out.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I feel ya David..I've been in the same boat. Last night I broke a drought of several sits with nothing! (can read the sorted tail, in my team thread)

Funny thing is I've been doing the same as you hunting the hard to get to places.(public) Last night my wife said try here (picks spot)..we always see deer there. It's an easy place to get to..almost to easy, thats why I avoid it. She says I think your over-thinking everything and ignoring the obvious..She may have a point!