Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What a great feeling...

Old 10-10-2007, 12:15 PM

Default What a great feeling...

....when you get your bow in your hands after pulling it up 25-30 feet. Theres always a thought in the back of my mind that the rope or snap may break. I'm sure its happened before; hopefully it won't ever happen to me.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What a great feeling...

I know that feeling. I hate it when you accidently hit your sight pin on your screw in steps.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

uptill last week i pulled my jacket, bow AND PACK(small pack but well overloaded )last week i FELT a stand snap in my pull up rope about half way up....my heart sank. i pulled it up quickly and smoothly...thankfully the rest didnt go. guess the rope aint rated for 20lbs lol. now i climb with my pack on..dont know why i didnt before...and just pull up the bow. muccccccch easier and no real fear of it snapping with just a bow on it....
Old 10-10-2007, 01:12 PM

ORIGINAL: mauser06

uptill last week i pulled my jacket, bow AND PACK(small pack but well overloaded )last week i FELT a stand snap in my pull up rope about half way up....my heart sank. i pulled it up quickly and smoothly...thankfully the rest didnt go. guess the rope aint rated for 20lbs lol. now i climb with my pack on..dont know why i didnt before...and just pull up the bow. muccccccch easier and no real fear of it snapping with just a bow on it....
You know...I thought about you yesterday morning. I had thought I read on here somewhere where you pulled up your bow and pack. I meant to ask why you didn't just wear it up the tree. Only bad thing I have to say about wearing it is that on warm days my back gets sweaty while going up the tree.

Trial and error is great, huh? I'm always finding better/faster ways of doing something after I've done them for a while.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:21 PM
Typical Buck

buy a spool of parachute chord/rope and attach some metal dog leash clips to it. you won't break it. I've used the same 25 feet for 12 years, and I've used the very same piece of rope for hanging 25lb. steel treestands in a pinch. it tangles a hel of a lot less also compared to that nylon stuff they sell as "pull up" ropes in the store.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Mikey S.

buy a spool of parachute chord/rope and attach some metal dog leash clips to it. you won't break it. I've used the same 25 feet for 12 years, and I've used the very same piece of rope for hanging 25lb. steel treestands in a pinch. it tangles a hel of a lot less also compared to that nylon stuff they sell as "pull up" ropes in the store.
I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the tip.

Now I'm off to the hell hole...I mean honey hole. It sure feels like hell out there though.[:@]
Old 10-10-2007, 01:31 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: ducsauce

I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the tip.

Now I'm off to the hell hole...I mean honey hole. It sure feels like hell out there though.[:@]
You'll never go back to the store ropes!
Old 10-10-2007, 01:32 PM
Typical Buck

I have never had it happen to me but now I am going to be thinking about it everytime I am bringing my bow up.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am glad that I am not the only one that thinks these things! When I first started bow hunting, I would knot that rope too tight and then I would spend forever trying to get the knot un-done...
Old 10-10-2007, 02:08 PM
OGW

Very Good tip Mikey!
I've done the same and around here as the weather gets colder I run 2 ropes...1 for the weapon and 1 for the gear. I climb without much on me so I have the most amount of freedom while doing so...IMHO it's much safer that way!