Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ethics question - Tagging deer

Old 10-10-2007, 11:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ethics question - Tagging deer

What would you have done, differently?
I would probably be out there looking for her again today instead of on here asking us what we think. We can't tell you the outcome! Sure the meat is spoiled but at least you know if you killed her or not! Personally 7 hours isn't that long to look for a deer, I also think you put too much trust in you "shop owner"!
Old 10-10-2007, 11:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Twil...

I'm going to do some extensive practicing, tonight (from a treestand)......I have to. I'll be out of the woods until Friday evening....maybe even Saturday. I shoot my bow a lot, though. Anyone who knows me knows this, too.

I appreciate the support....but I understand the critics, too. Before this season....I would have probably been less tolerant of such events (with others). If I thoughtI was doing something wrong....or wasn't prepared.....I'd stay out of the woods. Hunting is supposed to be fun.....and it isn't much fun, right now (the outcome).

Old 10-10-2007, 11:22 AM
Dominant Buck

So you trust no one, BHF? I tend to lend credence to others advice who are more skilled at something than I.

Itook a vacation day, yesterday. I have other responsibilites besides searching for a deer that people (here and on the scene) tell me is not dead. I honestly feel like I gave the situation a "valid effort". I'm sorry if you don't feel that way.

I'm remorseful, yes.....but I'm done on the subject.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Twil...

I'm going to do some extensive practicing, tonight (from a treestand)......I have to. I'll be out of the woods until Friday evening....maybe even Saturday. I shoot my bow a lot, though. Anyone who knows me knows this, too.

I appreciate the support....but I understand the critics, too. Before this season....I would have probably been less tolerant of such events (with others). If I thoughtI was doing something wrong....or wasn't prepared.....I'd stay out of the woods. Hunting is supposed to be fun.....and it isn't much fun, right now (the outcome).

[hr]

Jeff,
I just didn't want you to take my post the wrong way. I don't doubt your a good shooter hopefully one day we will shoot together, just saying man your in a rut and we all go threw it. Hunting is fun, until this crap happens I know I've had sleepless nights where my wife laughs at me(she dont understand) Good luck and I don't doubt your not doing anything wrong, you will be fine!! One more question were these deer shot with your Rage heads?
Tim

Old 10-10-2007, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

You're telling me that 7 hours of looking is enough? Give me a break!

Old 10-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

What more should I have done? What would you have done, differently?
From what you've told us I see the weak link in your chain as "you" .I know you have the best of equipment and you shoot allot, but that alone does not make you a good deer hunter.
You seem to make mistakes before you take the time to realize they are just plain bad judgments on your part.
Hunting anything but shade in 90 degree weather is poor planning.
Shooting two deer without recovering the first is just irresponsible in my mind.
A big part of it being irresponsible comes from your past failures at quick recoveries this year and not learning from them.
And last but not least much has been written about "effective range".
You need to take a serious look at yours,you are not having much success at 20 plus yards, Maybe 10 to 15 would be a good starting point.

I wrote some suggestionshere because you asked what I would do differently ,and hopefully they will help you in youradventures.

Good luck, Jim
Old 10-10-2007, 11:45 AM

ORIGINAL: drhntr178

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

In MO, it's law that you are supposed to tag any animal you hit, whether you recover them or not....
Mobo, where did you hear or get this info from? Ive never heard of such a crazy idea and find it very hard to believe. Do you havea link or the wildlife co # where this is stated?

I agree. I have never heard this or even seen it in the regulations booklet. I was curious of the law so I emailed The MDC and am waiting what they have to say. I will let you guys know, but until then this is not a law in my book!

As others stated you cant tag what you dont have in hand
Old 10-10-2007, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

You asked what I would of did differently, I replied what I would do and have done in your situation! I never said that I don't trust anyone! I should of said you put to much trust in your shop owner thinking the deer is still alive. If he thought that I would of said thanks for the help tracking, I owe you one and would of kept on looking and maybe even found her, learned something on my own which in return would make me a better hunter!

I have other responsibilites besides searching for a deer that people (here and on the scene) tell me is not dead.
I used to thinking about getting out and in a tree to hunt every chance I got, now I think about what happens if I do shoot a deer, the weather, the time, and searching its all part of the responsibility!

And yes 7 hours isn't enough time!
Old 10-10-2007, 11:48 AM

My tag doesn't get used unless I find my deer. Simple to me.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

You need to take a serious look at yours,you are not having much success at 20 plus yards, Maybe 10 to 15 would be a good starting point.
I would focus on this if it were me. I have had my share of mistakes, in 1991 I decided on the 20yd rule.

Being the shot on your doe and the guts was hanging out, that tells me you might be hitting to far back. I think you are missing the lung on the closes side, but I do not know. One thing I do is look at the lungs and where I hit or did not hit. I make a note how far deer went after the shot.

Maybe it's just me, but I find arrow passingthrough both lungs and over the heartare the quickest kills I have. Every deer I have hit in this location is under 50 yds. Every deer1 lung or liver is 150 to 200 yds. Both lungs and a little back 50-80 yds. Closer tothe heart, the better IMO.

IMO a deer qrt away you have to aim at the last rib is on too much of an angle. Qrt away shots are great, but I like the 3rd rib in.The lungs are more forward than must think. An exit hole in front oppositeshoulder is better than behind IMO on the angle I have seen in your picture.

Look ata picture of a deer. Notice all the blood vessels around the heart. This is why I like to shoot right over the top of it. If I miss low, great. If I have to shoot at the last rib, I am going to have a hard time hitting whereI want.

Take this for what it is worth, just what I have found what works for me.

Quick Reply: Ethics question - Tagging deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.