Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ethics question - Tagging deer

Old 10-10-2007, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ethics question - Tagging deer

What's there to report? You didn't find anything. I bet some of them probably live. Not many though.

Darrall
Old 10-10-2007, 08:53 AM
Dominant Buck

I’m sorry man, but I’ve got to disagree with you on this one. To me, your statement then translates to “I’d rather not recover this one, so that I can shoot another one, that I may also not recover”. My opinion is, your first priority should be the deer that you’ve just shot. You did say once before that it isn’t about the killing. How does this add up? I’m confused.
KP was this addressed at me? If so....I think you jumped to a conclusion.

Let's use Matt/Pa's search as "an" example of what my question was, though. Let's say the deer was gutshot....but the same effort was put forth to recover it.....with no recovery made. The deer is dead. Should this hunter be morally obligated to tag it (or attempt to with his state)? Or...could he ethically utilize his (now) unused tag on another deer?

I'd bet a lot of money this scenario occurs multiple, multiple times every deer season.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Does everyone agree that a pass-thru, gut-shot deer is a dead deer walking?
Because this only says gut shot, I'm assuming it is stomach and or intestine. In that case I'd say yes, it will more then likely poison itself.

Although I find it hard to believe, this deer was apparantly shot one season by an individual, and killed the next. In any event, I am always a little more careful field dressing and butchering deer because of it.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:01 AM

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

“I’d rather not recover this one, so that I can shoot another one, that I may also not recover”.
who would shoot at a deer they didn't want to recover?????? kinda defeats the purpose huh?? i'd think that anyone who would shoot a deer they didn't want to recover, well, frankly, those idiots wouldn't be debating "ethics" about the situation...

or maybe i'm missing something here...
Old 10-10-2007, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I’m sorry man, but I’ve got to disagree with you on this one. To me, your statement then translates to “I’d rather not recover this one, so that I can shoot another one, that I may also not recover”. My opinion is, your first priority should be the deer that you’ve just shot. You did say once before that it isn’t about the killing. How does this add up? I’m confused.

Let's use Matt/Pa's search as "an" example of what my question was, though. Let's say the deer was gutshot....but the same effort was put forth to recover it.....with no recovery made. The deer is dead. Should this hunter be morally obligated to tag it (or attempt to with his state)? Or...could he ethically utilize his (now) unused tag on another deer?

I'd bet a lot of money this scenario occurs multiple, multiple times every deer season.
In a state like PA where you get but one buck tag per year I feel if in your heart & mind you know that you killed a buck then yes a moral & ethicalhunter would be done for the year.

Ineptness is not an excuse to use deer as target practice. The highest of highs you get from cleanly bagging your buck should only be over shadowed buy the shame and guilt of failing to quickly & cleanly kill the greatest of game animals we will ever get the pleasure to match wits with.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I’ve got a better idea. How about we just stick on this topic. You, your deer, your hunt and in your hunting area. We can move on to another scenario after we’ve finished this one.
In reference to tracking with your dog, you said… “I'm not saying your method won't work. It likely will. I'm just not comfortable waltzing a dog through my hunting area every time I shoot a deer on the chance that she'll become a deer tracker.”

Maybe I’ve misunderstood, but to me that means that recovering the animal that you just shot, isn’t as important as the next one that you’re planning to shoot. Which is why I posted the way that I did.

Please explain what you did mean, if I misunderstood.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:07 AM
Dominant Buck

You're having to assume that IWOULD recover the first animal for the way youpresented it to be true. There's a chance I could get all my neighbors and all their dogs in there and we'd find it, too. I'm not going to do that every time I shoot a deer.....but I don't think I'm less of a hunter for NOT doing that.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

No, I’m not assuming anything about you actually recovering the first deer. Your statements make me believe that you agree that by using your dog, and training your dog, that you will decrease the chances of losing deer that you’ve shot in the future, and you’re deciding not to, solely based on decreasing the chances of shooting another deer in that area. I disagree with that, and I’d say that represents poor ethics. And I find it odd that these statements come from a guy, who would at least like for everyone to think has impeccable ethics. Maybe you do, but if you do, you sure aren’t getting your point across very well. Perhaps you should take a little more time to post your answers.
You’ve also made it clear that deer hunting is not about the killing, in your opinion.
I do not understand how you think, but I’m trying to, which is why I’m asking. I’m not trying to chastise you, but I am finding our conversation confusing.
KP
Old 10-10-2007, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

You're having to assume that IWOULD recover the first animal for the way youpresented it to be true. There's a chance I could get all my neighbors and all their dogs in there and we'd find it, too. I'm not going to do that every time I shoot a deer.....but I don't think I'm less of a hunter for NOT doing that.
In my humble opinion, not just to jump on you Jeff, but if you weren't willing to "get all your neighbors and all their dogs in there" to find ANY deer that you just killed, then you ARE less of a hunter!
Old 10-10-2007, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

There's a chance I could get all my neighbors and all their dogs in there and we'd find it, too. I'm not going to do that every time I shoot a deer.....but I don't think I'm less of a hunter for NOT doing that.
Just curious, if you had the chance why didn't/wouldn't you??

Quick Reply: Ethics question - Tagging deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.