Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ethics question - Tagging deer

Old 10-10-2007, 06:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Ethics question - Tagging deer

There's the conundrum. I dont KNOW. Based on the opinions from most of the guys who posted on the thread yesterday......they seem to think she'll make it. I guess I will trust their wisdom (albeit hearing of the scenario through someone else).

It really doesn't affect ME. I do have unlimited doe "tags".....and I simply phone them in. I was just interested in what you guys thought. Ultimately....the hunter has to make the determination of whether he thinks the animal is alive or dead.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:58 AM
Typical Buck

If I can't put my hands on it the no I do not tag it.

We found a deer that a buddy shot three days later and he was only able to tag the head. The rest wasn't going in the back of my truck. The registration station had an issue and the dnr came but we explained the situation to them.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:01 AM
Bartender

Then the question is pointless. Here in Wi you have to physically tag a deer and even if it was automated
and I didnt find the deer then it is not a legal harvest because no way of knowing. I will move on now.
Have a great day jeffery.
ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Fraley.....

I won;t answer your post in the same SA manner it was posed......but let's just say we can "tag" a deer without talking to anyone. I did so, this morning on the first doe. A few clicks of the mouse and I can "tag" a deer.....and all from my coffee table at 6:00AM.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ohio DNR info...my interpretation stands. If you can't physically tag it..then no tag needed.

In addition in Ohio..You cannot attempt to kill a 2nd deer (on the same day)until you physically tag the first! (Thus 1 recovered before the 2nd attempted)

Deer Tagging
Every person who kills a deer must immediately detach the temporary tag from their deer permit and immediately attach that tag to the dead deer at the place where it fell. The temporary tag must have the name and address of the hunter and date and time the deer was killed. Your temporary deer tag must be separated from the deer permit and tied to the deer. Attach a piece of string, wire, etc. to your temporary tag before you hunt. Carry a pen or pencil and a watch with you to fill out your temporary tag. The temporary tag must remain on the deer until it is taken to an official deer check station for permanent tagging. See Deer Check Station Locations online. Once a temporary tag is detached from the permit, it is illegal to hunt or pursue deer with a hunting device without purchasing an additional valid deer permit (See Concealed Carry information). For multiple deer permit holders, the first deer taken in the day must have been temporarily tagged before hunting or pursuing another deer.
Hunters with deer permits must use the temporary tag from the permit. Landowners and tenants who take a deer on their land and any other person not required to purchase a deer permit as well as hunters who purchase a deer permit over the Internet must make and attach their own tag with their name, address, and date and time killed. This tag must be attached to the dead deer immediately in the field at the place were it fell.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

In MO, it's law that you are supposed to tag any animal you hit, whether you recover them or not....
Mobo, where did you hear or get this info from? Ive never heard of such a crazy idea and find it very hard to believe. Do you havea link or the wildlife co # where this is stated?

As others stated you cant tag what you dont have in hand
Old 10-10-2007, 07:09 AM
Dominant Buck

Nothing wrong with a little SA, Fraley I indulge.

But...here in NC the laws are a little different...and I was speaking to my situation, yesterday.

I guess the underlying question is.....Do you ONLY "tag" a deer....if you can lay your hands on it Understanding that some states allow for call-ins)? Maybe that would have been a more appropriate question.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dude,
Step away from the bong for a minute!

You are not going into the woods, alone, to prove to the world what a great and noble guy you are. You are going in there to get some venison and some antlers if you’re lucky. You are going to be taking part in the act of killing, if you’re good enough, and or lucky enough.
In VA, (which has very similar game laws as NC, and even share laws in some areas) You are to tag an animal as soon as it is recovered. That is a key word here. If not, you would be required to tag something as soon as you think you hit something, which would get really confusing as I’m sure you can imagine.
But, if you want to be a hero to deer hunting ethics, by all means, tag your arrows as soon as you find blood on them…
I will tag each deer that I kill, before I transport or butcher it. And I hope to tag each one that I shoot. I have only not recovered one deer in my life, and I didn’t tag it. I think/feel that I did the right thing.

Further, and I’m not trying to be offensive, but if you’re shooting does regularly, and not recovering them, you should be rethinking your hunting practices, not tagging laws.

Below are tag requirements for VA. Please make note how many times the word carcass and successful hunter. They do not make any mention of not knowing the fate of an animal and tagging such an animal. In fact if you pay close attention to bullets one and three under “validation of bear, deer and turkey tags”, you’re question should be answered. Sounds to me like tagging a nonexistent animal would be illegal.

Bear, Deer, and Turkey Tag Validation & Checking Requirements
Validation of Bear,Deer and Turkey Tags

All hunters killing a bear, deer, or turkey, unless the hunter is license exempt, are required to validate an appropriate tag on their bear-deer-turkey license (big game license), bonus deer permit, or special permit (DCAP, DMAP) at the place of kill prior to moving the animal in any way. To validate a tag, successful hunters must completely remove the designated notch area from the appropriate license or permit tag.
Do not detach license or permit tags to attach to the animal. Validation only requires the removal of the designated notch area from the appropriate license or permit tag.
It shall be unlawful for any person to validate (notch) a bear, deer, or turkey tag from any license or special permit prior to the killing of an animal. A tag that is mistakenly validated (notched) prior to the killing of an animal must be immediately voided by the licensee or permittee by writing, in ink, the word "VOID" on the line provided on the tag.
Hunters killing an elk are required to validate an appropriate deer tag. [/ul]
How to Validate a Tag and Check Bear, Deer, and Turkey

Remove the designated notch area from the appropriate tag on your big game license prior to moving the animal in any way. Do not remove the tag from your license.
Check your deer or spring turkey by calling 1-866-468-4263, go on the Internet at www.dgif.virginia.gov, or take it to a check station. Bears and fall turkeys must be checked at a check station.
Write the check card number or the confirmation number (from telephone or Internet checking) in ink on the license tag next to the notch. [/ol]
Checking Bear, Deer and Turkey

Bear, deer and turkey must be checked by all successful hunters, including license exempt hunters, upon vehicle transport of the carcass or at the conclusion of legal hunting hours, whichever occurs first and without unnecessary delay.
All deer and spring turkeys must be checked at a check station, by using the telephone, or the Internet.
All fall turkeys must be checked at a check station. Fall turkeys cannot be checked through the telephone or Internet checking system.
All bears must be checked at an official bear check station. Bears cannot be checked through the telephone or Internet checking system.
It is unlawful to destroy the identity (sex) of any bear, deer or turkey until it is checked. After an appropriate tag has been validated (notched), successful bear, deer and elk hunters are allowed to dismember the carcass to pack it out from the place of kill as long as they do not destroy the identity of the sex and all the parts of the carcass (excluding internal organs) are present when the animal is checked.
Deer checked by telephone or Internet, with the proper confirmation number, are eligible to be entered in the Eastern or Western Regional Big Game Contest or the Virginia Outdoor Sportsman Show.
Spring turkey hunters, who plan to enter a turkey in any big game or trophy contest that requires a certified weight of the turkey, will need to check their turkey at a check station. These contests require a check card for all entries.
Elk must be checked at a check station. Elk cannot be checked through the telephone or Internet checking system. [/ul]
Check Stations for Bear, Deer and Turkey

Check Station Locations
Black Bear Check Station Locations
Hunters, checking bear, deer, elk and turkeys at a check station will be given a check card furnished by the Department. The successful hunter shall then immediately write the check card number in ink, on the line labeled "check card or confirmation number" of the tag that was validated (notched) at the place of kill.
Black bears must be checked at an official black bear check station. One or more bear check stations have been established in 72 counties or cities. The location of these bear check stations can be obtained from any check station, game warden, or Department office. In counties without established bear check stations, successful hunters may transport their kill to a bear check station in an adjoining county that has an established bear check station and also may have their bear checked by a game warden or by Wildlife Division staff. Department staff may be contacted by calling the VDGIF radio dispatcher (in Richmond, 804-367-1258) or nearest Department office. The successful bear hunter shall surrender, or allow to be removed, one premolar tooth from the carcass. Also the check station operator shall permanently affix a seal, furnished by the Department, to the carcass.
The check card must be kept in possession with the carcass until the carcass is processed.
If the carcass of an animal that was checked at a check station is left unattended, the check card must be securely attached to the carcass.
Hunters needing a copy of a lost check card should call the appropriate Department region office. [/ul]
Telephone and Internet Checking for Deer and Spring Turkey

When using the telephone checking system:

Successful hunters can check their kill by calling a toll-free number, 1-866-GOT-GAME (468-4263).
Only touch-tone phones may be used (rotary phones will not work). [/ul]
When using the Internet checking system:

Successful hunters can check their kill by visiting www.dgif.virginia.gov and clicking on Hunting, then under Links click Check Game Online.
Hunters have the option of printing a check card at the end of Internet-checking sessions. [/ul]
Only deer (except elk) and spring turkey may be checked using telephone or Internet checking.
Before using either the telephone or Internet checking system, you will need your big game license, a pen and a piece of paper to record your confirmation number. If you are exempt from purchasing a big game license, you will need your driver's license number or the last four digits of your social security number.
Follow the instructions and provide the requested information.
You will be given a confirmation number at the end of the telephone or Internet session. Write it down. Licensed hunters must then immediately write this confirmation number, in ink, on the line labeled "check card or confirmation number" of the tag that was validated. When using the telephone or Internet checking system, be sure that the confirmation number is a letter followed by ten digits. If your telephone or Internet checking session is cut off or your confirmation number is not complete, start the session again and repeat steps until the complete confirmation number is obtained.
Shed-antlered buck deer should be entered as an antlered buck with 0 antler points.
Hunters checking two deer on the same day may get the same confirmation number for both animals. This is okay. [/ul]
Carcass Transferred or Unattended

If the kill is reported using the telephone or Internet checking system by a hunter who validated a tag, no personal check card is required as long as the hunter is in possession of the carcass, However, if the carcass is transferred to the possession of another individual or left unattended, a personal check card (see example below) or Internet check card must be created and kept in possession with the carcass until the carcass is processed. If the carcass is left unattended, the personal check card or Internet check card must be securely attached to the carcass.
License-exempt hunters: If the kill is reported using the telephone or Internet checking system by a hunter who is licensed exempt (for example, a landowner who did not have a license tag to validate at the place of kill), the successful hunter must create a personal check card (see example below) or print an Internet check card. The personal check card or Internet check card must be kept in possession with the carcass until the carcass is processed. If the carcass is left unattended, the personal check card or Internet check card must be securely attached to the carcass. [/ul]
Example of a Personal Check Card
An animal reported using the telephone or Internet checking system will require the creation of a personal check card if:

The hunter is license exempt.
The carcass is tranferred to someone else.
The carcass is left unattended. [/ol]
The personal check card may be written on any type of paper using a pen and must include the hunter's full name, date of kill and the telephone confirmation number. A check card printed from the Internet may be used in place of a personal check card.
Example:

· John W. Doe
· November 23, 2007
· X5200185200
[/align]
Old 10-10-2007, 07:44 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: hunter25

GMMAT,

What would you tag? You have nothing physical to attach a tag too. No leg, no antler...nothing. Unless your state does not deal w/ a physical tag to attach to the animal.

Next question: Why would you WANT to tag something that you have no idea if it even expired? If you know it's dead, go pick it up. Otherwise, you do not know it's fate...not 100% anyway.

Might still be walking in the woods...stranger things have happened. Deer are tough animals and there are have numerous cases over the years where they have survived a shot from one of us hunters. You know all of this though.

I know you want to do the "right" thing, but the right frame of mind is to accept the fact that unrecovered deer is just part of hunting. It happens to everyone (in most cases) unfortunately. You don't have to like it, but it is part of the deal.

Here in IL, if you are checking in a deer (doe or buck) you must take measurements of certain body parts...distances between two points, etc. Need the deer to do that.

I'm not questioning where your heart is because it's obvious you have great respect for the deer in which you hunt, which is a breath of fresh air. But don't beat yourself up w/ regards to ethics, as your situation is not calling for an ethical outcome. You did your best to recover a wounded deer and it didn't work out this time...next time it will.

Good luck to ya...

Couldn't agree more!
Old 10-10-2007, 07:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Good stuff, KP. I don't take it the wrong way. I knew I'd take my lumps.

If you've never injured a deer.....my hat's off to you. I've got good friends who I believe are good hunters who've lost multiple animals (over multiple SEASONS)......even multiple animals in a row (in a single season). I'm not justifying my or their actions.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:57 AM
Typical Buck

Never heard of having to do that. You should do everthing you can to find it like Matt/PA did then if you can find it there is nothing to tag. You may want to tell the check in station for their records but keep your tag for a deer you can touch. They include a % that won't be found when they set uphow manyyou can kill in each state.

Quick Reply: Ethics question - Tagging deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.