Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

See fletchings at impact....HONESTLY

Old 10-09-2007, 08:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: See fletchings at impact....HONESTLY

TFOX....indulge me....becasue as soon as someone can explain this to me....I'll go to bed....lol.

If you shoot straight down......there's still the "arch"?

Why would there be? The arrow is being pulled straight down (along its plane). Am I missing something?

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Another good point,the arrow spins fast enoughthe fletchinglooks solid from behind.
Point conceded. excellent.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:34 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Another good point,the arrow spins fast enoughthe fletchinglooks solid from behind.
Point conceded. excellent.
WHEW!! Can I go to bed now?

Actually, that was quite an interesting discussion. And on top of that, TFOX and I agreed on something.....LOL.....j/k bud....j/k......
Old 10-09-2007, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Problem is you guys shoot bows that are too fast...

I shoot 31 inch 2413s, with 5 inch feathers, white and bright yellow with a bright green nock, bow is 15 years old...Remember the arrow rotates in flight, helping you see the fletching...Yes, I see that stove pipe when it hits a deer.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not to me, TFOX....lol (makes sense)...

If you shoot 20 yds......from 20' up......don't you eliminate MUCH of the "arch"?

Reason I say this is......if your goal is to have your BH replace the spot on the deer wher eyour pin is (in this instance......your 20yd pin)......would the arrow correct itself and be pointing straight away from you on THIS shot.

I have NO problems seeing my arrows in flight on 20 and 30yd horizontal shots. Put me in an elevated perch, though.....and I find it .....well.....I don't find it.
It will arch the exact same as the horizontal distance is,regardless if you are from a perched position or not.

You are probably not doing something right,the first thing that comes to mind is are you bending at the waist ?This will keep everything in line,making it much easier.Or you lose focus and see the ground,not sure why this is but I see my arrow hit the deer almost everytime.

Heck,I shot a deer a few years ago that had some brush halfway between it and myself.I could see the deer fine but no way I could have shot through it if she had been directly behind the brush but she wasn't.I layed my 20 and 30 yard pin on her,which also happened to be on the brush.(she was 24 yards)I WATCHED the arrow go OVER the brush and drop right into the top of the heart and both lungs
She ran 20 yards and died right there.Still the coolest shot I have ever made and witnessed.Then a 4 point comes along and tries to get her up for an HOUR.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:38 PM

Just curious Jeff. Do you shoot with both eyes open?
Old 10-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

TFOX....indulge me....becasue as soon as someone can explain this to me....I'll go to bed....lol.

If you shoot straight down......there's still the "arch"?

Why would there be? The arrow is being pulled straight down (along its plane). Am I missing something?

Thanks.

There is no arch when shooting straight down because there is NO HORIZONTALPATH for gravity to pull against the arrow.

There is however,sight paralax(the distance above the arrow your eye is,I THINK) that comes into play because the pins are above the arrow.

Mobo,even a blind hog will fins an acorn every now and again.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:57 PM
Dominant Buck

So...TFOX.....If gravity comes into play.....(I'm going to use a hypothetical to prove a point.....I "think").....

If you're 60' up.....and you shoot 30yds out.....your arrow is going to "drop" the same as it would if you were standing on flat gorund and making a 30 yd shot? I'm guessing if you used your 30yd pin on this shot......you'd hit high of your mark.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

So...TFOX.....If gravity comes into play.....(I'm going to use a hypothetical to prove a point.....I "think").....

If you're 60' up.....and you shoot 30yds out.....your arrow is going to "drop" the same as it would if you were standing on flat gorund and making a 30 yd shot? I'm guessing if you used your 30yd pin on this shot......you'd hit high of your mark.

YEP,use the 30 yard pin.Actually there is a slight difference due to the arc,that is what I was saying about the laser range finders that compensate for it.

I missed a deer on an uphill45 deg angle shot once because he ranged 30 yards and I shot him for 30 yards,should have shot him for 20.

I LEARNED THE HARD WAY
[/align]
Old 10-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Another thing that might come into play on this shot is time traveled in the air.The longer an arrow is in the air,the more it will slow,therefore,increasing the arc.Shooting downhill isn't going to speed the arrow up enough for that to make a difference.

My head hurts.

Quick Reply: See fletchings at impact....HONESTLY

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.