Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

See fletchings at impact....HONESTLY

Old 10-09-2007, 07:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: See fletchings at impact....HONESTLY

Usually I can see on a deer where its hit, but when I'm shooting at the target, I can see the arrow in flight but when it hits I usually have to move to the side to see where it hit, usually on 30yd+ shots.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Dominant Buck

mobo.....so you're saying the difference between the arrow plane and the sight line is discernable to the human eye? That isn't much of an "angle" is all I'm saying. Especially isn't......much of an angle on short shots.

JM.....from 23' in a tree......anything inside 25yds and I don't "think" there's much of an arc in my shots. I may be wrong.

And baseball players don't see the "stitching". Different pitches elicit different "patterns" that the stitchings make (ex...a slider will make a small circle appear on the face of the ball).
Old 10-09-2007, 07:50 PM

mobo.....so you're saying the difference between the arrow plane and the sight oine is discernable to the human eye? That isn't much of an "angle" is all I'm saying.
Yes. It's more than you think. Where does your arrow start it's flight from? The rest, which is what, 6" BELOW your eyes? It then travel ABOVE your sight path, then back below. I would bet that arch is close to a foot, maybe more depending on distance. The only way you truly COULDN'T see it is if it were flying DIRECTLY away from your eye. As small as the diameter of the arrow is, it doens't take much angle to see it.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Would it not be harder to see the fletching/wrap impact on short shots?
Old 10-09-2007, 07:53 PM

Absolutely, but that's mainly due to the short amount of time it takes the arrow to get there. The arrow still has that arc to it, though it may not be as much at 10 yards as it is at 30......But the time of travel is the key there, more than the arc.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Dominant Buck

20 yd shot......23' in the air. How much does my arrow arch up? We've pretty much taken the effects of gravity out of the situation. Haven't we? Why would the arrow arch "up"? Would it arch "up" (in reality.....if what you're saying is true....OUTWARD) om a straight down shot?

Curious.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:58 PM

It still arc's, it's not flat. Gravity doesn't have the same effect, but while I'm not an engineer, I can't see that it's effect is lessend enough to make that much difference. I know this wasn't the point of your post, but the MAIN reason people shoot high out of their treestand isn't gravity's effect, but rather improper form. If you keep the same form, and your target is 20 yards away, your impact will be the same whether 20 feet in a tree or on flat ground. If that weren't true, why don't we need to resight our equipment for elevated positions?? Our 20 yard pin wouldn't be any good any more......
Old 10-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, we are trying to help you here. Why do you keep going out of your way to prove us wrong.

I know what I see. I can follow my shots to the point of impact with most lighting conditions.. Maybe it is something you can work on.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:00 PM

Oh, and as far as the STRAIGHT down shot? I gotta tell ya, I just don't know.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:02 PM

I was always taught that when shooting in the woods to make sure all my pins clear limbs and brush because the arrow arches up and then drops slightly no matter what range you are shooting.

Quick Reply: See fletchings at impact....HONESTLY

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.