Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

tracking a deer onto privit property

Old 10-08-2007, 04:06 PM

Default RE: tracking a deer onto privit property

i have had the same problem....law says he can actully claim that deer...bs if you ask me...yes you are supposed to ask....if you know the land owner, you should be good...if not i suggest go and ask him before you go hunting....if you go and ask before you go out you will be confident in able to recover your deer...just ask if you shoot a deer and it runs onto he prop you will only go on his prop to recover the wounded deer....good luck

must owners will understand
i had to kick off a few people that came onto mine though...there was absolutly no blood on the trail they were walking...and had a unbelievable story..."it ran like a mile and half from where i shoot it and i seen it go in the woods here"...BS the only other problem it was neighbors but they didnt have the surronding property to my woods..i even caught the same couple people hunt ing one day on my prop...lol they didnt know i was up they should have done there research if they are going to break the law
Old 10-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had that happen to me 3 times already this year.

first time - bear opener. I went to the landowner's house and asked permission.

second time - I didn't even know the people next to me, didn't know how to get in touch with them and I've never seen them on their land. It wasn't posted, so as I understand minnesota law I could legally go look for the deer as long as I didn't have a weopon (which we didn't). I later got permission from that person

third time - gray area. I already got permission from him on bear opener, but didn't know if he meant every time or just that one time. i tracked it for a while and then backed out. recovered the deer early the next morning. I went to the owners house this weekend to inform him what I did, but he wasn't home. next weekend.

in your situation - if it's legal like it is in mn I would go get the deer.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

i hate tresspassers i ran a few off in ky and had a guy in nc come to me and was talking about some land he had a little wasdown the road and asked if he could have access to my land to track the deernot after shooting before shooting which was a round about way to hunt my land i had two acres at them time with two house on them not going to happen i did not even activly hunt the place now if i seen a deer i might have shot it

he then asked me who hunted the land next to me and i said a older lady who had a small dislike to hunting not like petabut was going to let someone on her land .

two weeks late he was cought tresspassing she called the law which i might have done aswell

i do not wont to treesspass on anyone land i will ask them and letyou guys know how it goes thanks
for the help
Old 10-08-2007, 05:20 PM

Spend some time and track him down before the situation happens. Get permission before hand, get his phone number. So if it does happen, you can call him right before you go look for it.

If he won't let you, check your game laws. See if you can have a CO ****** you to the deer. If it's like some states where the land owner can claim the deer. Get his phone number anyway, tell him the situation and let him know you really want that deer, but if he still won't budge, tell him where you think it is. I'd rather see the guy have it then go to waste..

Unless he's PITA, I don't see you having an issue.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ask question's before it happens withthe land owner!