Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First archery deer (muley doe)

Old 10-08-2007, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default First archery deer (muley doe)

I finally got my first deer with my bow on Friday. I was hunting whitetail in the morning, but decided to leave at about 10am. I drove by a pasture of a friend of mine and saw a few muley does running around. I tried to put a stalk on them, but I was busted. Those dam big radar ears hear everything. I have been busted a half dozen times by mulies since archery season started a couple weeks ago. I then went to check on my ground blind that I have had set up for a month now. The blind is in the same pasture and in a steep, rocky draw on a butte. There are a few trees but not anything tall enough to hang a stand in. The cattle decided to use my blind as a bed last week, so I thought I better check to see if it was still there. While still about a quarter mile away, I spotted a mulie doe bedded down about 100 yards from my blind. I had a good chance of getting a stalk made on this doe. The wind was out of the east, so I walked about a quarter mile to the east and to the south so she wouldn't catch my wind. I would have liked to walk on the west side of her so she didn't have a chance to get my wind at all, but she was right on the property line and I haven't asked to be on or hunt that property. After getting to within a couple hundred yards, I had to make my way through the loose rock, gravel, mud, ground slides, and thickets. It would be a lot quiter if I would have taken off my boots, but I couldn't as there is a lot of cactus and yucka plants all over this area. I got on the down wind side of her and 35 yards away in a spot where only half of my body would be visible when I stood up. I drew back, stood up, settled the pin on her, and let an arrow fly. Here is the result. She is a young doe but should be tasty. Now I can concentrate on whitetails and not bust my butt stalking mulies for miles every time out.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First archery deer (muley doe)

Congrats on your first.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!
Old 10-08-2007, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!
Old 10-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats