Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Form" post.....never done this...

Old 10-08-2007, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "Form" post.....never done this...

DO NOT shoot off the string!I've done both and I won't go back to shooting from the string for this reason. It's dangerous. Here's why.

With a short ATA bow (33" in my case), the string angle becomes big enough that the nock gets pushed slightly off the string at full draw. Twice I had arrows actually fall off the string at full draw - just milliseconds before I squeezed the release. I nearly dry fired my bow and it scared the ***** out of me. If you ever have to draw on a deer and let down and draw again, you're screwed unless you shoot a loop. Next time you shoot off the string try letting down and then look at how the nock is attached to the string. If the arrow didn't actually fall off the string, it's barely on there.

That won't happen with a string loop. With a loop, you can draw and let down all day and that arrow is still firmly on the string. No chance for the arrow to fall off which could cause a missed shot opportunity or worse yet a dry fire. I don't know why more people don't talk about this when discussing loop vs no loop.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:18 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Bigcountry......the reason my release is being gripped the way it is....is my fingers are BEHIND the "trigger"....so I don't shoot a hole in my wall!

Scott....what are you trying ot show me in that diagram? Just curious as to where things "should" be. Thanks!

To everyone else....(and especially you, Matt....I was waiting on your reply!)....thanks. I'm going to tinker AFTER deer season.
That makes sense. Where do you anchor your release hand?

Old 10-08-2007, 10:20 AM
Typical Buck

GMMAT do not stay in draw length denial like i did. I shot a 28 " for years. Once I got my head out of my rear and finally realized I am truly a 26 in draw My 3d scored went way up. I actully won money shoot htis year and a local techno hunt league and placed in the top 10 or 15 of our winter 3d league that Matt wins every freakin year. But it was the best thing I have done.............[8D]
Old 10-08-2007, 10:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

DO NOT shoot off the string!I've done both and I won't go back to shooting from the string for this reason. It's dangerous. Here's why.

With a short ATA bow (33" in my case), the string angle becomes big enough that the nock gets pushed slightly off the string at full draw. Twice I had arrows actually fall off the string at full draw - just milliseconds before I squeezed the release. I nearly dry fired my bow and it scared the ***** out of me. If you ever have to draw on a deer and let down and draw again, you're screwed unless you shoot a loop. Next time you shoot off the string try letting down and then look at how the nock is attached to the string. If the arrow didn't actually fall off the string, it's barely on there.

That won't happen with a string loop. With a loop, you can draw and let down all day and that arrow is still firmly on the string. No chance for the arrow to fall off which could cause a missed shot opportunity or worse yet a dry fire. I don't know why more people don't talk about this when discussing loop vs no loop.
Why I shoot a longer ATA bow.

I have shot of the string for ever, I can draw and let down all day
Old 10-08-2007, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

good input from everyone.

wrist sling looks like it might be a little snug...
Old 10-08-2007, 10:53 AM

I am having the same problem as you GMMAT. My PSE Nova with a 29" draw length was perfect, however 29" on my Allegiance is a tad to long for me. My next bow will definately be a 28" or 28.5" I agree about not changing anything until after season.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Besides what has already been minitioned, your gut is not big enough to ever be a really good shot Jeff, you need to eat more beans and taders!
Yes its true, some good scores are posted ever now and then by the skinny ones, but the consistent big score posters are packing around a pretty good size stabilizer out front!
Old 10-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

LOL... I wonder if Matt / PA's scores will go down this winter then? [8D]
Old 10-08-2007, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

LOL... I wonder if Matt / PA's scores will go down this winter then? [8D]
How much weight didMatt lose Greg? It will all depend on how far he can poke his gut out to stabilize himself
Old 10-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Scott....what are you trying ot show me in that diagram? Just curious as to where things "should" be. Thanks!
RJ's photo is a good example. His shoulders are square to his hips and his body is centerlined vertically.

Quick Reply: "Form" post.....never done this...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.