Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Form" post.....never done this...

Old 10-08-2007, 08:53 AM

Default RE: "Form" post.....never done this...

**Edit** Rick James and I wrote our post at the same time (so I didn't see his till I posted mine) but we are saying the exact same thing and see the same problems

While everyone is correct that your shoulders are not square with your hips and you are leaning back a tad, I am not sure if you are too long.

Try this. Draw, do not touch string to your nose, push your left arm all the way out till both your shoulders are down and firmly in thier sockets, squeeze your shoulderblades together from the bottom a tad or make it tight in there and let those muscles under your shoulder blades do the work. Without lifting your front shoulder at all make sure your left hand is rotated out for a proper grip so your elbow is clear of the string path when you release. Keep your head square and dont move it forward or back. Have your wife check for your shoulders square over your hips, then and only then see where your string is. If its on your nose congrats your draw is correct. If not adjust.

I think you are leaning back, but worse your front shoulder seems up out of the socket a tad and your elbow bent just a tad too much. The shoulder and elbow need to be consistant as to create a firm and rock solid place for your bow to live

Surprisingly people with thier shoulder up and the string to thier nose can be short. So you may be long, short or just right.

Try the above and find out.

OR
You can measure from the center of your chest the the large wrinke in your wrist and that should be your draw length.
Or
You can measure your full wingspan tip to tip of your middle fingers subtract 15 inches then divide by 2 and that should match your previous measurement and that should also be your draw length.

Good luck
Old 10-08-2007, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Photo for thought.....

Old 10-08-2007, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just a quick picture to look at to see what I'm talking about and a video as well........

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v283/ringostar40/Archery%20Competition%20and%20Form%20Pics/?action=view&current=24958d05.flv

Old 10-08-2007, 09:13 AM
Typical Buck

I just started shooting this year so the main thing I see wrong in the picture is the SC shirt you have on, but what do I know I am a Tiger fan.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:13 AM
bigcountry

Looks like your gripping your release. (not sure your type of release), and about 1" or more too long draw. What is your anchor point on your release hand? Orare you just looking thru yourpeep and sight? I have three anchor points. My thumb under my jaw, my nose on the string, and a kisser. Then when I open my eye, everything should be inline with my peep and my circle on my sight.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SCBigBuckHunter

I just started shooting this year so the main thing I see wrong in the picture is the SC shirt you have on, but what do I know I am a Tiger fan.
x2!!
Old 10-08-2007, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Couple things about shooting off the string. 1. It will tear the heck outta your serving, and since you shoot quite a lot, you'll find yourself re-serving rather frequently. 2. With your release being directly behind the nock, you get a much cleaner arrow release off the string, since there is no pinch like there is w/ the release on the string, below the nock. Eliminator buttons are supposed to eliminate this pinch, but don't think they do....I will admit though, I've never used them.
Well from my ACTUAL expirience..I've shot my 05 Ally off the string since it was new. It's never been re-served and still doesn't need it. You'ld be hard pressed to find anyone who shoots MORE than I do.

Having dismissed the first "issue" completely! I see no reason to argue the second.

Was just giving options..shoot what you are comfortable with.

I shoot a Tru-Ball release and I would imagine any excess string wear someone may see..is more a "release issue" than anything else.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:32 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Couple things about shooting off the string. 1. It will tear the heck outta your serving, and since you shoot quite a lot, you'll find yourself re-serving rather frequently. 2. With your release being directly behind the nock, you get a much cleaner arrow release off the string, since there is no pinch like there is w/ the release on the string, below the nock. Eliminator buttons are supposed to eliminate this pinch, but don't think they do....I will admit though, I've never used them.
Well from my ACTUAL expirience..I've shot my 05 Ally off the string since it was new. It's never been re-served and still doesn't need it. You'ld be hard pressed to find anyone who shoots MORE than I do.

Having dismissed the first "issue" completely! I see no reason to argue the second.

Was just giving options..shoot what you are comfortable with.

I shoot a Tru-Ball release and I would imagine any excess string wear someone may see..is more a "release issue" than anything else.
Totally agree with this. I shoot a sabretooth scott release, and would tear the heck out of serving. In fact, it tears up my loops every 600-800 shots.

My old truball is much smoother, and never had that issue.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

My experience with shooting off the string and shooting with a loop is sort of a combination of the two... I shot off the string for almost a decade or more, and only had to reserve once. My issues with it came in the fact that I was wearing out the eliminator buttons (the rubber cushion buttons to keep nock pinch at a minimum when shooting off the string). I found that them wearing even slightly would change my POI.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Bigcountry......the reason my release is being gripped the way it is....is my fingers are BEHIND the "trigger"....so I don't shoot a hole in my wall!

Scott....what are you trying ot show me in that diagram? Just curious as to where things "should" be. Thanks!

To everyone else....(and especially you, Matt....I was waiting on your reply!)....thanks. I'm going to tinker AFTER deer season.

Quick Reply: "Form" post.....never done this...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.